cjclark87

Jul 7, 2009
Im not burning oil, or leaking oil. but it seems whenever I do a oil change on the transmission side of the engine, theres always barely no oil left. then the strange part is when I change the engine oil, theres always too much. is it possible for there to be a crack somewhere which is allowing oil from the trans to get into the engine oil? Im pretty sure I am doing everything right, just dont know whats going on. :bang: :whoa:

anybody have this problem? or know the answer?

thanks
CJC

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've heard of this. Never had it happpen to me though. I can't seem to remember what seal it is that goes bad.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Sounds like clutch side crank seal. Could be just the seal has gone bad or it could be that the seal has moved. Either way sounds like you need to replace the seal. My 250x has done the samething and the crank seal was the problem.

cjclark87

Jul 7, 2009
thanks for the help guys. So is it infact leaking into the engine side? I just cant understand that. I would think if its leaking into the engine side, the engine side would also leak into the trans side... Maybe I will pull it apart today and have a look.

thanks alot!!

Corey :)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
it is a oil migration issue.

On the 450rs you have to change out the right side crank seal and balancer shaft seal. Also buy a new right side gasket and O ring for the water pump sleeve. takes about an hour to do it. I would also suggest to replace the balancer bearings while you are in there.

I assume the 250rs are the same story. but for sure the crank and balancer seal.

cjclark87

Jul 7, 2009
Thanks for the tips buddy. I have never done this on my big bike before, only on the mini (crf88). Should be pretty much the same thing, well similar but different. What do you figure these parts will run me?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Matt90GT said:
it is a oil migration issue.

On the 450rs you have to change out the right side crank seal and balancer shaft seal. Also buy a new right side gasket and O ring for the water pump sleeve. takes about an hour to do it. I would also suggest to replace the balancer bearings while you are in there.

I assume the 250rs are the same story. but for sure the crank and balancer seal.

Yeah it would be a good time to replace the right side balancer bearing while your in there. They do go bad on the 250 and can make a mess of things.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
This is the same thing that is going on with my 04 CRF250R.

In order to change the crank seal and balancer shaft seal do I need to split the cases or can I just due it with the clutch side case cover off?

Thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You have to remove both side covers, but not split the case. So get the gaskets and water dowel O ring.

Replace the bearings in the balancer! otherwise you will be in there again within a few rides.

TomJV

Jul 26, 2010
'06 CRF250r

I think I'm having the same prob with my CRF250r.
I went on-line and am confused about what parts to order.
The names don't jibe with these posts entirely.
ex. they don't list any O rings on the water pump.
I want to have all the parts on hand.
Can someone please help?
Some pics would be great!
Thanks in advance,
TomJV

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
CRF250R%5E2004%5ERIGHT%20CRANKCASE%20COVER

#10 is the Oring you need.

Right and left case gasket
balancer bearings
balancer seal
right crank seal

TomJV

Jul 26, 2010
Excellant! Thanks. Before I go ahead, I'm gonna continue to run the bikes and monitor the oils. It still seems weird that the engine side dumped a couple oz and the tranny side is still over the weep hole. I'd figure the engine side should be high and the tranny side low. ?
Also, my son pointed something else out to me. He mentioned that they only did this when we were running them, standing still with the gas off, to run out the carbs. I know it sounds crazy, but everything seems to affect something on these machines. Vacuum?
BUT,
I also have a '07 CRF150r that I just acquired. When I dumped the oils, the tranny side was really low. This bike has more wear than the 250s and it's more likely to be the case. I'm betting I'll have to open the 150 up first.

Top Bottom