greenman06

Apr 21, 2006
Ok so i have come to the conclusion that dealers dont know what there talking about.

I have a 04 kx 125 that has very little miles on it. The bike is completely stock and runs great at times. I have been using belray 40:1 for the past three months since i have had it.

The bike seems like it loads up with fuel down low when im not whapping the throttle all the time. I also have a spooge issue out of the pipe. My question is how can i clear up the loading of fuel.

I called a few dealers and they all say something different. Some say check the float height, others say use a hotter plug, others say ride it harder.

I know its a race bike and i do ride it hard, but it does seem a pig rich at times. I moved the needle clip to the 1st position and messed with the airscrew but that didnt seem to help much. A guy i ride with says it may be the power valve.

I was hoping someone else has delt with this issue in the past. My next step from reading around is going to try to go down 1 on the pilot jet and clean the power valve and repack pipe. Has anyone delt with this on a 04 kx 125?

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I have the same bike, and I know exactly what you are talking about...

Change the jetting
here is what I jetted at, but it changes for temps and altitude
Main jet 400 (stock:420)
Pilot jet 35 (stock:40)
Stock needle, in the stock position
Im not sure what about my airscrew is at now,

And by going up to 40:1 with oil you are actually richening you mixture, If I were you I would stick with a good 32:1 ratio, You gain absoulutly nothing running 40:1

greenman06

Apr 21, 2006
thanks for your tips. I m confused tho i thought a 40:1 mixture would be leaner than a 32:1 mixture. That would be 40 parts gas to 1 part oil and 32 parts gas to 1 part oil. Does the more gas or more oil in a mixture make in richer or leaner?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
More gas makes it richer, I ran almost those same jetting spec's he suggest yes they work awesome but I ran the needle clip position at #2 from the top and the air screw was at 1.5 turns out and I ran it at a 40:1 ratio.

greenman06

Apr 21, 2006
I ve been using Bel ray h1r, what is a better mixture to run with since its a semi sythetic? Do u guys think by just changing the pilot to a #35 that would help, since its loading up when off the throttle or low throttle? Do you guys think the powervalve would be an issue or the float height?sorry for all the questions......

Last edited:

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
greenman06 said:
I ve been using Bel ray h1r, what is a better mixture to run with since its a semi sythetic? Do u guys think by just changing the pilot to a #35 that would help, since its loading up when off the throttle or low throttle? Do you guys think the powervalve would be an issue or the float height?sorry for all the questions......

Powervalve wont effect jetting, unless it is extremely gummed up, I would just leave it alone until you rebuild your top end...
I dought that the float is messing with it... If it never bogs after you have been on the gas for a long time, or doesent leak gas from the overflow your float is most likely fine... But be warned, the float on that bike is extremely picky... at least mine is

If I were you, for a start I would go to a 410 for main, 37.5 for pilot, and play around with the needle and air screw, and go from there.

Running too rich is alot better than running too lean... Believe me on this :)

If I were you, I would goto a 32:1 oil mix ratio, I personally dont see why anyone will goto 40:1 or even less oil... Because these bikes need the absolute most lube they can get.
The only thing that I see better about mixing Less oil is, less cost.
I mix mine at 28:1 with maxima formula k-2... Works great, and I never have any problem with it loading up, I can put around all day, and then get on the gas... It will smoke like a bi*ch, but wont cough or hesitate at all :laugh:

greenman06

Apr 21, 2006
thanks sir, i went to get different jets at my local dealer and there are clueless what it takes, talking about different sizes and shapes but couldnt pinpoint what i should get. They were talking about hex shape and big hole small hole. Are the carbs all the same on the 04?michuni right? Do u have part numbers for those #410 and #37.5?

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
greenman06 said:
thanks sir, i went to get different jets at my local dealer and there are clueless what it takes, talking about different sizes and shapes but couldnt pinpoint what i should get. They were talking about hex shape and big hole small hole. Are the carbs all the same on the 04?michuni right? Do u have part numbers for those #410 and #37.5?

hahah wow, you got a nice damn dealer there... :bang: :bang: :bang:

I dont have the part numbers, so I cant help you there...

But just say for examle "i need a size 400 main jet for mikuni TMX-38 carb, Or say what kind of bike you have... they should have that on file.

Good luck

Top Bottom