Replay

Apr 17, 2003
hello and thanks for any and all help.

I just bought a used '05 YZ250 and i havn't got the owners manual from the original owner yet... and yes, i plan to get a service manual soon.

first the service department told me to mix 1/2 race gas and 1/2 premium.... he said the factory said to run at least 96 octane (not sure what octane rated he was talking about) anyways he said they bumped up the compresion for '05.
what is everyones thoughts on this?
i just mixed some up with 2 gals 114 race gas and 3 gals 92 pump.

also im changing the oil and ran into a small problem... i asked the dealer how much oil it should take, and he said .75 liter... and he also said to just where the oil runs out the small hole when the bike is level. my problem is that the oil started running out the small hole when i put in about .5 liter. so im confused if i should add more oil to get up the the .75 liter or stay where im at with the .5 liter and the oil just starting to run out the small hole?
im spoiled my old KX250 had a sight glass!

yes i love the YZ ... i cant wait for my next day off to ride it again! thanks again everyone for taking the time to read this and for any and all help.

B

biglou

Pump premium is fine, although race fuel won't hurt anything. That service department is confused and referring to the Research Octane Number.

As for the oil, I drained mine and poured 750ml back in. Didn't bother with the level bolt.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I don't use the bolt either, just pour in the right amount. As for the race gas if the track is hilly and plowed up real deep then I get a lot of pinging under heavy loads, so I started mixing 1 gal of 110 to 3 gals premium to get rid of the ping.

B

biglou

I did my break-in with the gallon of pump premium @ 15:1, then dumped it into the mower and have been running straight TT111 (B32) @ 30:1. And it was relatively cool for my break-in so I didn't notice any pinging, but the thought did cross my mind. There is some serious compression in this thing, or at least it feels that way through the kicker!

Replay

Apr 17, 2003
Thanks Guys

Thanks, I was making a simple oil change too hard. I just drained out the oil and added to it till i had 750 cc and put it back in, done!

I will keep adding some race gas to my pump gas, I can get it just down the street so its no hassle. it just makes me a couple bucks poorer!

Thanks again for the fast replys, you all were a big help... now a oil change will be almost too easy! just the way i like it!

Replay

Top Bottom