krazykyle85

Sep 18, 2005
i have a 2005 yz250 that i have been ridding for about 9 months now. over the summer i took it apart to rebuild and grease everything. the steering head bearing was full of dirt/glamis sand and rust... i bought the replacment bearings, but cant get the old bearing race out of the steering head. i know that the aluminum frame and steel outer bearing race are going to be a problem. i dremeled the race in half in to diffrent spot. i bought a special tool for the job. i have a propane torch and am heating the race and frame. i dont know what to do, besides buy a new frame. the real problem is on the underside of the steering steem of the frame were it holds the outer race it has a lip that extends as far as the bearing race. so the heating, the bearing race removal tool, and the cut in the race are no help since when i hit the removal tool it is just hiting part of the frame not the bearing race. please help..... thanks

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The seat has to be there to provide something for the bearing race to snug up against. Otherwise, the race would just push down inside the head tube.
Take a look at the similiar post in this forum for additional info on how to remove stubborn races.

Top Bottom