cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
I've just gotten a new old stock 2002 cr 125 husky for my son. It's a fabulous bike. strong,smooth,torquey-with a very nice top end hit. suspension is great on both ends! If the wr 125 is that good or better I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Husky isn't one of the companies that advertise- "243 changes to this years bike", they just quietly keep making great bikes with changes as they are needed.

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
My experience with the Husky 125s of recent vintage has been mixed. The 02 WR125 I had was a constant source of irritation and expense. So much so that the dealer I bought it from even started to feel bad. He finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade up to an 04 CR125. The 04 has been nothing short of awesome. Not one problem with it! I can't say enough about Jay and his staff at Hall's Cycles.

It's important, I think, to remember that in 2001-2002 Husqvarna was going through some serious financial trouble and then got hit with a flood. Since then they've rebounded and shown some serious innovation in their 4-stroke machines and the 2-strokes seem to be better than ever. In my opinion, Husky has some of the best off-road factory suspension in the industry. In capable hands, these bikes can hold their own with anything out there.

If you race off-road - hare scrambles/enduros - Husky has the BEST contingency program in the business. Check it out.

nurmdog

Jan 24, 2006
Husqvarna Looks Good

I am a novice trail rider without a ride of my own, I have ridden several bike by other people. I have read every magazine and every Internet Web Site that I can on Enduro bikes in the past 6 months. I have gone to see all 4 Jap Dealers as well as Gas Gas, KTM, and Husqvarna. I have looked at the bikes very closely as far as detail to parts, construction, and serviceability. I can say without a doubt that I like the features on the Husqvarna bikes. Marzocchi forks, Sachs rear ( Ohlins on the new MX bikes) and Brembo brakes are great. The 2006 Husky WR 125 weighs about 204 lbs dry ( claimed ) which may sound heavy compared to other 125's, but remember that it features plastic hard guards, an Multi Function Enduro Computer, an Enduro headlight, and it has a proper 18" rear wheel. And the US list price is $5,299 !!! To me the bike seems like a great lightweight off road bike. I found a snippet on an Aussie web site about a group of reporters from around the world that rated Euro bikes, this web link is a quick summary of that test. They rated the WR 125 as number 1 in the 125cc Enduro Category.
eatmydirt com au/articles/1718
:)

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
Jeff,
What were the problems with the '02?
Norman

Jeff Sexton said:
My experience with the Husky 125s of recent vintage has been mixed. The 02 WR125 I had was a constant source of irritation and expense. So much so that the dealer I bought it from even started to feel bad. He finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade up to an 04 CR125. The 04 has been nothing short of awesome. Not one problem with it! I can't say enough about Jay and his staff at Hall's Cycles.

It's important, I think, to remember that in 2001-2002 Husqvarna was going through some serious financial trouble and then got hit with a flood. Since then they've rebounded and shown some serious innovation in their 4-stroke machines and the 2-strokes seem to be better than ever. In my opinion, Husky has some of the best off-road factory suspension in the industry. In capable hands, these bikes can hold their own with anything out there.

If you race off-road - hare scrambles/enduros - Husky has the BEST contingency program in the business. Check it out.

CagivaWMX

Apr 16, 2002
I raced an '02 CR 125 twice a week for the whole year and never had major mechanical problems. (the 250 was a different story) If you ride hard you need to replace the stock clutch basket with a billet Ferracci one if they are still avaliable. The suspension was good, the brakes are great, super easy to work on and decent motor for a 125.

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
Norman,

Where to start? At the beginning I suppose.... I bought the bike new in August 2002 from Halls.

The bike was a dog from the first day. I took it back to the shop three times trying to get it sorted out. On the third try I told the shop I didn't want it back until it was right. Jay rode it and put right on the work ticket "bike is a slug." About a week later, one of the guys from the shop who was racing a CR125 at the time, called me to say he found the problem. The bike was shipped with a 250 carburetor on it! When they put the proper slide and jetting in it, it ran great. My then 13 year old son started racing it in D-17 hare scrambles 200C class in 2003.

Then the weird stuff started. Over the course of the 2003 season we experienced a broken woodruff key that aligns the flywheel to the crankshaft, a broken kickstarter return spring, a broken kickstarter shaft, and teeth broken off the idle gear between the kickstater and clutch and basket.

In 2004 it was more kickstarter problems and cracked crankcases that had to be replaced at considerable expense.

To start the 2005 season we had another set of cracked crankcases and that was the final blow. I guess by now Jay was tired of my whining about what a piece of crap the bike was because he made me a great offer on a trade for a new leftover 04 CR125.

In all fairness, the 04 has been as good as the 02 was bad. Not a single problem with it! My now 15 year old son has nothing but praise for it.

Top Bottom