JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
I think that I read somewhere that the rm250's cylinder is basically a clone of the yz's. I am curious then to know how different the power of the rm is compared to the yz's. Have any of you guy ridden both bikes? If so, can tell me how the rm compares to yz?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have not ridden either of those 06 models but I think all of the Major magazines have done their 250 MX shootout at this point so that would be a good point of reference to check. I would check more than one mag because while they tend to be similar they sometimes point out some different things and occasionally opinions greatly differ. For a point of reference I have subscriptions to Transworld and Dirt Rider, I can tell you that for what it's worth, Dirt Rider Rated them in this order in the motor category: YZ, KX, SX, RM, CR. TransworldMX rated them in this order under power category: YZ, KX, RM, SX, CR

+30

Aug 2, 2005
shifting

They seemed to rag on the rm's shifting this year, I dont remember them doing that previously. I wonder what changed to cause the bad review? Sorry justin havent ridden either bike...Good question though-Id like to know too. My guess would be the rm has stronger lower-mid hit and less on top than the yz if the bikes are still like their prev years versions.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
Thanks for the responses. I am going to be buying a new bike soon and I am having a terrible time trying to decide what to buy. I really love 250f's, I have had two of them(yzf,crf) but I don't know if I want to deal with maintenance and all the worries that come along with them again. I currently have an 05 yz125, but I really don't like it all that much. I need a bigger bike because I am planning on moving to AZ and I want something that I can use for all types of riding (mx, desert, dunes, etc...). I have very little 250 two stroke experience though, I rode an 04 yz250 that my friend had a few times in an open field, I actually liked it. The power seemed pretty smooth for a two stroke, but since I ride mostly mx I don't know how I would like it track. I am just worried I am going to make expensive mistake.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Neither bike would be a mistake as they are considered by many to be at the top of the class, when in reality (for us normal folks) all of the current bikes are up there.

They both do something slightly better than the other, if you want to split hairs, although an advantage of one could work against you, but I wouldn't worry about it; ie, the YZ is more stable (but won't turn?!) although the RM turns better (but is nervious?!); the RM has a snappy response (wild or just right?) whereas the YZ the most over-rev (useful or unimportant?) In reality both can be made or modified to mimic the other somewhat - consider having one or the other no inconvience which cannot be corrected or tailored.

To me, any of them would be way far beyond my ability to use to its fullest, and I'd be a for sure hoot at how over the top they are in performance, esp. compared to what I am used to.

So if it's still that important, wait until you can get/bum a side-by-side ride, or take the plunge - pick the color you want, because either one is so good they are truely both winners.

Top Bottom