denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
Greetings to all! I'm a newbie to the forum, please be gentle. First off, not sure this is in the correct thread but here goes. I bought a 07 CRF 150 last night and I'm waiting for the owners manual to arrive. According to the owner, It has less than an hour on the motor, by its appearance and tits still on the tires and other factors I agreed. Looking for some guidance on how to break it in properly, initial oil change and other items that need to be taken care of. Back in the day you had to let it run for so much time then sit for so much time. Does that still hold true? I was told 20/50 castrol is what to run in the crank case. No synthetic, clutch can slip. Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to ride, the bug has bitten and it feels good!

May 10, 2007
is this a 150F or a 150R? there is a big difference between the 2. the 150F is a mellow trail bike that you could just go and ride. the 150R is a race bike that is very highly strung. easiest way to tell which you have is look to see if it is air or water cooled. for the 150R you should probably do the heat cycles. ride the bike for about 20-30 minutes then let the bike cool down. then repeat twice. then you should be good. for either bike though you should stay away from extended periods of high RPM during the break-in.

and welcome :ride:

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
My bust, it is the F. Thanks for the reply and info. What about oil? change after how many hours? again I dont have my owners manual, waiting for it. I'm anal about oil. I run synthetic in my FZ1, want to do what is right.
Castrol 20/50? stay away from synthetics? thanks again Dennis

B

biglou

Those are very resiliant little bikes. Any good 4stroke motorcycle oil will be fine, synthetic or not. You can run the Honda HP4 or Yamalube 4, etc. I'd change oil every 2-3 tanks of gas, maybe a bit longer if it's ridden very easily.

May 10, 2007
the 150F is based on the XR engine and they are pretty much bullet proof. pretty much any oil in it that is actually changed will be good. most people hardly ever change the oil in those bikes.

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
I rode it today, man what a blast! Reminds me of my KDX 175 days, just good plain fun. Wheelies like no tomorrow. My kids just grin from ear to ear when they see me riding like a mad man. I just bought my 9 year old a 07 CRF 50 and a 01 xr 80 for the other three boys. I need to get another bike for them. I would love to get another CRF 150f but they just started riding a week ago. They said they want another 80. The bug has bitten and bitten hard. I think I will change the oil every third tank, I'm not afraid to get on the throttle and shoot some roosters. Thanks for the Info guys, appreciate it! Dennis

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
20w50 is really too heavy to run unless you are spending all your time in 100 degree temps.

Synthetics will work just fine in this engine as well. The idea that synthetics will make the clutch slip is complete nonsense.

As long as you change the oil regularly, and don't get crazy with high viscosity oils any name brand oil will do.

Wayne Meuir

Feb 2, 2009
Do not use synthetic until after break in since the rings need a little time to seat. After that, synthetic works very well. I run Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in my Kawasaki Concours and after 30,000 miles it does not use a drop of oil and has had not a single failure of any kind. Rotella T can be had a Wally workd for about $15/gallon.

Wayne

Top Bottom