Uly

Nov 21, 2018
I've had my 2007 crf250r for a couple years now always run well but for the past 2 years its sat in my garage and now I cant get it started changed the fuel in it got it started for about 5 seconds and it cut out and had a funny smell and now I cant get it started need some tips on getting it started the mechanic said it could cost me up to $1000 to fix so I'm gonna give it a crack myself

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A new plug and fresh gas is always the first place to start.

The pilot jets on those carbs are incredibly small so it's super easy for them to get plugged up when they sit and the fuel deteriorates. Pulling the jet and soaking it in carb cleaner overnight , followed by blowing compressed air through it till you can see there are no obstructions is often times required. Given it's age it's also worth checking the valve clearance. When the valve clearance starts to tighten up with wear they become very hard to start. If you get the Honda service manual all of this stuff is relatively easy to do for anyone with decent mechanical skills. It's a very easy engine to maintain if you follow the Honda recommended service intervals.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Just to ad to Rich's already on point advise,.... On many of these carbs you can simple loosen the boot clamps on front and rear of carb and rotate the carb 90 degrees to gain access to the bowl,...remove bowl, remove float and needle valve,... remove both pilot and main jet,..then soak everything and blow clean as instructed above. there will likely be debris in the bowl as well,...thoroughly clean. Reassemble,...make sure fuel tank is clean and free of old gas before starting.
The ethanol in todays fuel will separate after just a couple months, leaving clogging residue behind. Good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom