1/19/02 - Cal City Ride Report (looong)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Okay, here’s my ride report from this weekend. You’ll have to forgive the bits of whining but hey, it’s a gift I don’t intend to waste. :confused:

Let me just start off by saying I could just kick myself for allowing over a month to pass without riding. I really enjoyed getting to the point in my riding that I wasn’t suffering for nearly week after every time I rode. Now I sit here.... sore from my neck down. My arms are killing me and I could barely lift up my left leg up to get my pants on this morning!

I will say that I had a total blast riding this weekend even though I knew I was gonna pay for it. I had forgotten how much fun it is to ride in the desert.

Chris (dirtjunkie) led us on a fast paced, (for me at least) wide-open, 62-mile ride on Saturday. The destination was an old mining town called Randsberg.
10 riders blazing across the desert, it was awesome! I'm not used to going so fast (most of the time in 5th and 6th gear) for so long that I had a serious death grip going on and my hands were killing me! I could barely peel them off my handlebars. I also decided to finally invest in a kidney belt after this trip. I can only stand up and go through rocks for so long yanno. I thought my back was going to snap.

The first leg of the trip was great. I think I'm getting the hang of the whoops. If you just gun it you can skip or jump them quite smoothly. Of course I'm only talking about the whoops that are of a certain size and spaced just right. I still roll the deeper ones. I had a great time practicing though.

About 20-25 miles in we descended to the valley floor and onto a dry lakebed. What a BLAST! The feeling of sailing along was surreal. I couldn’t help but let out several “whoooo hoooos!” I did learn one lesson though. If you’re cruising along in 6th gear and come to a 2-3 foot drop off…… DON’T try to brake! The term “just gas it” would have been all too appropriate. I dropped down the ledge like a brick. My shoulders felt like they were going to rip out of their sockets. Thank goodness for the softness of the lakebed. No problems with the recovery, I just kept right on truckin’.

Things swiftly began to deteriorate for me after the lakebed though. We crossed the highway and made the mistake of trying to follow dirtjunkie…….well, I don’t know where. After twisting and turning here and there it wasn’t long before our group was strewn about the desert without a clue. 3 of our party threw in the towel and decided to head back to the road! This is when our fearless leader decided to give up trying to find the correct path to lead us to “the tunnel” and catch up with the other 3 riders and head on into Randsburg.

I’m not so sure about following dirtjunkie through the desert anymore. The word "trail" obviously has no meaning to the man. :p For the first time ever (on a ride) I snapped at TTRGuy! I don't have a problem bringing up the rear (as I so often do) if we're on a trail but when 10 people are crossing the wide open desert in the middle of no where and I'm exhausted and waaaaaay behind, NOT on a trail, and severely directionally challenged..... I can tend to get a bit pissy. I could no longer see the other riders, I had NO idea where I was going or if I was even still heading in the right direction. I have a bit of a phobia of being lost so I was just about to freak out as looked around at the vast expanse of desert all around me when I finally spotted the other riders up ahead. No sooner did I pull up they were about to take off again. I don’t know what came over me but before I knew it I belted out “STOP!” to TTRGuy as I watched him prepare to take off again. I guess there must have been some uh, ‘urgency’ in my tone because TTRGuy’s eyes were wide as saucers. He waved me on ahead of him. Ii kinda went downhill from there. I ended up dumping my bike and tumbling backwards down a small, rocky hill, this only added to my frustration and poor TTRGuy caught the brunt of it when he came back to ask if I was alright. Of course I blurted out the ever popular “I’M FINE!! EVERYTHING’S FINE!!” :scream: Finally we made it to a recognizable trail. I resisted the urge to get off my bike, get down on my knees and kiss it!

It was smooth sailing the rest of the way into Randsberg. What an amazing site to pull into this little ramshackle town and find the ‘main’ street lined with dirtbikes! We stopped into the old saloon and had some drinks and a bite to eat before we were on our way back to camp.

Unfortunately since I had forgotten to take a restroom break in town, the trek back proved to be a most uncomfortable one due to my stubborn unwillingness to relieve myself in the wide-open desert! (ya, ya, what can I say, sometimes I’m a fluff poodle) I was blasting down the fire road giving TTRGuy’s TTR-250 everything it had to get back to camp in a hurry! Every bump in the road was excruciating. Every few minutes or so I would look off into the desert and contemplate making in a sharp turn to head straight out into it, throw the bike down and rip off the 15 layers of clothing I had on! (hey, the desert gets cold!) Nope, couldn’t do it, like and idiot I endured the pain and kept my course praying that the hill behind our camp would eventually start too look larger.

Relief at last when I finally reached our camp and flung myself into dirtjunkie’s camper!

Chris, I can’t thank you enough for sharing your camper with us. Had we been in a tent, most likely this ride report would have been filled with all kinds of pissing and moaning about the cold. ;)

Kiwi, it’s too bad we couldn’t go out with you guys on Sunday but be had to get back home. Hope you guys found the sandwiches okay.

TTRGuy, here's my formal apology for biting your head off in the desert. :ugg:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Sounds like a good warm up for Reno GSR. Must be nice to pull up in the middle of ride somewhere for a cold slurpy.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Yes we all had a great time, I don't buy your wining at all everyone did great!
Note to yourself: Depends for fanny pak.:uh: hey that fits here...

Okay one section was a little out of line, we'll call that the cobble stone section. I wanted everyone to see what a cobble stone road was like. Just so happens that some of the cobbles were bigger that others and the curbs were made out of cobbles too!

Here's what you missed on Sunday: Kiwi & I rode from 10:45 till 5:30 most of the time hauling ass. A great ride from Ant Hll at Cal City across the dry lake, up last chance canyon "past the brand new Xterra" on its head in the rocks. :) To the old Bickel Mine, and on to Burro Schmitt tunnel,then to Randsberg. At a little after 5:OO, going back to camp going over the flat ground 4th & 5th gear "fyi" and just sage bush here and there he hit a rock, must have been the only rock in that area. It was a gray rock between two gray bushes
and we were riding directly into the sun. Dirt Gods can be so cruel, so over the bars he went. Now I know why they call him Kiwibird cuz from the marks on the ground he must have flown 15 to 20 feet. However must be heaver that his bike cuz it went further. I thought it was going back to camp without him. (barn sourer)
No visible damage on him so that was good! I wonder if he went to work today?
All in all a great day.:)

PS I told you it was only going to be a 3 hour tour,Giligan. :p

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by dirtjunkie
UPDATE: Sorry to say Kiwi did brake his collar bone!:( :( :(
Ouch! Does this mean no Reno for Kiwi? :( :(

>>chant mode on<<
heal Kiwi, heal Kiwi, heal Kiwi
>>chant mode off<<

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I would have loved to join you but my bike was down and I only got it going on Sunday. Sounds like a great time as usual .... except KIWI gettin' hurt really $ucks. Glad it was only a break and nothing worse happened.

So ... when are you going out next ? I'll be doing a club enduro next weekend but after that it's open.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Awwww man! Bad news about Kiwi! :( Don't worry Kiwi, special healing chicken enchiladas on the way! ;)

Eric, I definitely want to get as many rides in as I can with the socal group before we move. Let us know when your bike is ride ready again.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001

Sounds like you had a good day of riding. Whats with that area east of Calif City. Its a bad omen. Every group I know that rides there seems to come back with an injured rider. Im thinking, didnt Bundy do his Superman imitation in the same area?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'm broken. Dr says nice non-displaced break but off the bike for about 3 months. Can't figure that out as after the break I rode the last 10 miles back to camp, had a little help loading but unloaded the bike by myself and drove to work this morning. He must be used to dealing wiyh Nancy boys.

Just as well I traded in my automatic Ford for a 6 speed manual Dodge diesel on Friday. I'm only slightly punished as it's the left wing that is broken.

I'll still go to Reno but only for the drinking and socializing :confused: - wait, that's at least 2/3 of the trip anyway.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Sorry to here about that Kiwi,

Hope you make it to Reno, was looking forward to meeting you.
I was a victom of Cal City myself, but I was lucky, nothin brokin, except my bike and my pride.

Speedy, TTR, whats with the moving comment? You guys gonna leave paradise?;)
Where you going? If the riding is good, sounds like a road trip for the SoCal crew.
Ah man, this means I wont get to go to dirt week with you guys this year.:mad:

Oh well, hope to see you guys before you leave.

Bundy

KXEric

Feb 10, 2002
Randsburg

Sounds like you guys had a good time.
I went riding out there for the first time over New Years weekend.
Next time you go, you should take the trail over
Military ridge as they call it and then down into
Randsburg, the views are breaktaking. I think it goes
up to about 4,700 feet. Not for the faint of heart or
beginner. I can't wait to go there again.

Desert riding is a blast, but easy to get lost in, maybe
that's why most of them have GPS's on there bikes.

Eric

Top Bottom