Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
So Thumbs your a two looper desert racer now? I didnt know you joined District and thought you were just pie plating the races. Did any others form the Crew show up?

Last edited:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I have been doing all the district enduros and now I'm trying to get a few desert races in as well. Last year I took 13th place in the enduro 200cc class and I'm currently running in 4th place for this year.

The Eel and I were the only one man enough to show up. :p

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The race was great, and the 100's MC put alot of work into this course - one of the best courses I've ridden in District. It seemed long too - some people were claiming it was 90 miles long - but I only had about 74 on my ODO at the finish. Loop 2 was definitely tough - they had alot of totally rock-littered up and downhills, and I mean ALOT ! I really, really enjoyed the race, but I'm hammered now. Totally sore. I had a pretty good time racing with 2 or 3 different guys on Loop 2. I'd catch them in the technical and tight stuff, and then they would catch me back in the flats. On and on this went for probably 20 miles ... what a rush ! Lots of sand riding and lots of rock riding. The Gas Gas started to overheat with about 5 - 10 miles to go ... when I finished I discovered it was almost totally out of coolant. Oooops. The national Hare 'n' Hound championship came down to this, the last national of the year. Russ Pearson won the race, but Destry Abbott finished in 2nd and wrapped up another title.
I crashed 3 or 4 times, mostly near the end 'cause I was starting to lose what little remaining arm strength I had left. This was a real a$$-kicker ... next time you guys should come out for sure. We've got TWMC club outings in November and December, and the final District enduro on December 5th.

Here's some info on the TWMC outings ..

November 14th

TWMC Outing - 7th annual Wicked Bird Enduro, Cougar Buttes (near Lucerne Valley). Dick Cressy, Phil White and company.

Directions:

Take I-15 North to Bear Valley Cutoff exit (22 miles). Turn right and head through Lucerne Valley to Camp Rock Road (30 miles). You will connect with HWY 18, which will then turn into HWY 247 at Lucerne Valley. Approximately 6 miles past Lucerne Valley, look for Camp Rock Road. Turn left on Camp Rock road and follow the TWMC arrows to camp. About 3 miles up Camp Rock Road you will turn right and go about another 4 miles on a dirt road to camp at Cougar Buttes.

December 12th

TWMC Christmas Party - 4th annual Santa's Last Knight Enduro, at Hodge Road (near Victorville). The Knight family, and company.

Directions:

Take I-15 north to Hodge Road exit (45 miles). Turn right and follow the TWMC arrows to camp (about 3 miles).

See you in the desert !

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Sounds like fun. Sorry I flaked. I actually went riding but with my boy as his firends dad invited us (through him) to go if we were free. As he's been wanting to go with his buddies, I didn't have the heart to tell him he couldn't go and I'm going racing without him. Had it been an enduro, it might've been a different story. I'm glad you had fun. I'll see you at the Wicked Bird.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Eric, Glad to see that the race went well. Sorry we had to leave so soon or we could have helped you pit. Did the GasGas boil out or was it low to start. Must of been the long rock sections you mentioned. I would have liked to stay and help, but we had to leave and sell my son's KTM. At least the KTM sold, now I just need to move that Husqvarna.

Anyway, sounds like it was a good one. If all goes well we'll be back out with the club again soon.

On a side note, do you have any problems getting parts for your GasGas. I still don't know which bike I'll move to, but I 'm considering another Husky, KTM, YZ off-road conversion, and the 2001/2002 GasGas's look good too.

Ed

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Thanks for the good reviews. I had no idea that two races in two days was so much work. I'd rather ride our 2nd loop.I know a number of my friends were up and I didn't see any of them.

I did get to give the checkered flag to Russ & Destry as they finished. Russ must have been going 80 as he past me and did a full lock slide into the finish chute. Scared me just watching it.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ride your club enduro in Nov. Do you let guests ride? I could also use someone else on my minute that could tell me if I have programed my Watchdog correctly.

Gregg

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Dingoe, I had a chance to see the new Gas Gas 450 close up at Gorman about two months ago and that is one sweet looking bike. Im wondering how they will hold up in the flats out in the desert.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Gregg - you can definitely join us in November. Several of us have WatchDogs, myself included. We can ride on the same row no problem. As we get closer we'll put up a post so we can figure out how to meet up .... the Wicked Bird is always a good one !

Dingoe - you and your sons would have definitely enjoyed watching the hill that started loop 2. Great spectating from what I hear !!!! I'm betting the Gasser was low on water when I started ... it's not surprising how hot it got ... there were ALOT of nasty hillclimbs. Re: the Gas Gas - I have not had a problem getting parts - there are a few So Cal dealers (not real close, but fine for mail order), but mostly the stuff is just really easy to get over the net.

Check out these websites:

www.smackovermotorsports.com
Gas Gas dealer in Arkansas - there is a link on their mainpage to the "Talking Smack" forum. The best links in the forum are the "For Sale" link and the "Gas Gas Enduro" link - you can find out anything you want about the bikes by posting in the "Gas Gas Enduro" sub-forum, and there are already a ton of posts in there for reference. Everyone in there is super cool and very knowledgeable -- and they absolutely love GG's !!!! You can also get parts from this shop easily.

www.gasgasrider.org
Another great Gas Gas resource - includes a full parts crossover list - this is what makes parts so easy to get - for instance, right now, I'm using a '94 - '98 KX 250 black rear fender .. fits perfectly. The brakes are same as 2000 Honda CR 250. The forks on my bike are the same WP 43s that came on the late 90's/early 2K KTMs. And right now I'm using a CR 250 air filter. The rear sprocket is late model Husqvarna. There are many, many crossover parts. This site also includes PDF files of manuals as well as a list of websites and companies who sell Gas Gas aftermarket parts.

https://secure.fiftybelow.com/gofasters/index.cfm
This is a webstore with alot of GG parts at very good prices ... click on "Gas Gas" along the the left-hand side under "BROWSE STORE" ... there are several pages of parts. I've ordered fromthembefore and they are reliable ... plus they have sent a club team to the ISDE several years in a row and did quite well this year ... they were Team Skunkwrx. There are alot of GG specific parts here - pistons, graphics, etc.

www.gas-gas.net
Gas Gas's US homepage.

I love this bike ... would not trade it for anything. I have the 2002 XC 300, which is the snappier, more scramble-oriented version, whereas the EC 300 is the full-on enduro version. Right now I've got an FMF Gnarly pipe on it. The bike will climb anything, and with stock gearing it still does close to 95 MPH.

Gas Gas makes a vastly under-appreciated motorcycle ... remind me to give you a test ride next time.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom