nor_cal7

Apr 2, 2007
1) your physical size: 5-6 155
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? i am pretty agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? every thing but a lot of track
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes about 3 years
5) Do you think you will race ? yes after i get used to the bike that i will get
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? i would prefer 4 stroke but what ever is the best for me
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes all of them
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? as much as i want
10) Do you live in California? yes
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: well i was thinking about getting a 250f but then one of my friends said that it wouldnt be good for me and that i should geta 125 2t. Also i can fit on a full size bike because i was riding his yz450. so what do you think

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If racing is a serious objective of yours then you really need to take a carful look at the class that you would want to race in and get a bike suitable/legal for that. The "youth" group often limits the size of the bike, both in engine and wheel sizes.

Just starting out at age 13 you will be in a bit of awkward position, however, as the "youth" group tends to cut off at age 15. So if it took a year before you were ready to race you might miss out on youth and then have the wrong size bike for the amature classes.

Either the 125 two or 250 four stroke is going to more than double the power that you are accustomed to on the ttr-125. The TT series of bikes are not high performance engines, the are detuned to make them easier to start and overal more forgiving.

A "YZ" series bike is going to have a lot higher compression ratio. You will notice it when you go to kick the bike over. The 125 two stroke probably won't be any harder to start than your ttr-125 but you might be surprised at the 250 four stroke.

Living in California you definately want to either buy a 2002 or older or get one of the WR series bikes. A WR250F is California green sticker and still a respectible performing bike.

Overall, I would recommend a 2002 YZ-125 for you.
Rod

nor_cal7

Apr 2, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
If racing is a serious objective of yours then you really need to take a carful look at the class that you would want to race in and get a bike suitable/legal for that. The "youth" group often limits the size of the bike, both in engine and wheel sizes.

Just starting out at age 13 you will be in a bit of awkward position, however, as the "youth" group tends to cut off at age 15. So if it took a year before you were ready to race you might miss out on youth and then have the wrong size bike for the amature classes.

Either the 125 two or 250 four stroke is going to more than double the power that you are accustomed to on the ttr-125. The TT series of bikes are not high performance engines, the are detuned to make them easier to start and overal more forgiving.

A "YZ" series bike is going to have a lot higher compression ratio. You will notice it when you go to kick the bike over. The 125 two stroke probably won't be any harder to start than your ttr-125 but you might be surprised at the 250 four stroke.

Living in California you definately want to either buy a 2002 or older or get one of the WR series bikes. A WR250F is California green sticker and still a respectible performing bike.

Overall, I would recommend a 2002 YZ-125 for you.
Rod

thnx i am looking into a couple of yz's

Top Bottom