125 and 250 tires and how long they last

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Maybe for the pros, they change all the time. My tire has been on since February 06 and still has plenty of meat on it and I ride as hard as I can as much as I can in a soft terrain. I guess if you rode in rocky terrain it wear and tear more knobs off and if you were to ride the black top. With a back tire costing any where from 50 bucks and up per pop who could afford to put a tire on every 12 rides? :coocoo:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depends on how you ride, what terrian you ride, and what you consider worn out.

On sandy/muddy trails in Michigan I'd get a whole season out of a tire. Here in rocky Arizona I get maybe 3-4 rides before I wouldn't use the tire for a race, maybe 3-4 months before the center knobs are basically gone.

Nov 25, 2006
It all depends. I have seen between 1 minute and 1 year.
The weekend trail rider has it for a year, the garage burnout guy has it for a minute.
Also, it depends on what YOUR definition of a worn tire is.

Nov 25, 2006
crrider, I think you're still tinkering on the 125/250 issue, and I must say you should try for the 125, it wont take long before you can go full out on the bike, be very comfortable. You can get the power issues right out of the way and go straight to pushin it to the linit. the 250 would be scary for some time, i know i'm in for a lesson when i go for the 250, and I weigh 220 pounds!

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
our average ride is one weekend with around 80 miles of tight rocky soil really rocky my 85 will last 6 rides being flipped around and everything my dads 300exc will last maybe 3 or 4 rides before there is basiclly no rubber to ride with

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
While the riding style and terrain will definitely affect how long a tire will last, don't forget that the compound of the tire itself will play a role. If you buy a soft terrain tire an ride a lot of hard pack, the tire won't last very long, in fact, you will probably rip half of the knobs off of it pretty quickly. Oh, and tire pressure matters too.

Research specific tires and how they relate to the terrain that you ride on, don't worry so much about bike size.

BTW, The tire (Dunlop 756 if my memory serves me) that was on the rear of my KX250 when I bought it used lasted almost a year before the knobs were worn to less than 1/4 inch. I ride almost every week, and over half of the rides on that tire were on hard tracks.

Last edited:

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
FruDaddy said:
While the riding style and terrain will definitely affect how long a tire will last, don't forget that the compound of the tire itself will play a role. If you buy a soft terrain tire an ride a lot of hard pack, the tire won't last very long, in fact, you will probably rip half of the knobs off of it pretty quickly. Oh, and tire pressure matters too.

Research specific tires and how they relate to the terrain that you ride on, don't worry so much about bike size.

BTW, The tire (Dunlop 756 if my memory serves me) that was on the rear of my KX250 when I bought it used lasted almost a year before the knobs were worn to less than 1/4 inch. I ride almost every week, and over half of the rides on that tire were on hard tracks.

Almost a year me and my dad have used dunlop all but there soft tire and had horrible luck his knobs would rip off and mine would round quickly I like the Michelin Starcross and my dad uses Kenda Millville or Carlsbad what you said suprises me have they make big changes to there tire or something of that nature??

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i run the millville on my bike, works great for the type of riding i do

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I get about a half dozen rides on my tires, but I don't usually get new tires. I also ride on a lot of hard pack and like to slide a lot. A ride is also 60-100 miles.

I have a very poor opinion of the Millville because they chunk knobs too easily. I've never seen a front tire lose whole knobs until I saw a Millville. The Dunlops seem to hold up the best over the widest range of conditions. Michelins do well about about not chunking, but 2 miles on pavement and your tire is worn down to nubs.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have been using the Millville's on my old four stroke for woods riding and have loved them. But I have not been in nasty ledge rocks or anything like that, just black soil and some clay, lots of ruts and tree logs.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Matt 193 said:
Almost a year me and my dad have used dunlop all but there soft tire and had horrible luck his knobs would rip off and mine would round quickly I like the Michelin Starcross and my dad uses Kenda Millville or Carlsbad what you said suprises me have they make big changes to there tire or something of that nature??
The tire was on the bike when I bought it, but it served me well. I do still have it. My son's 06 65 came with Dunlops, but I did have to change them after about 6 months due to excessive knob removal. I am pretty sure that they came off because I wasn't running enough pressure.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
FruDaddy said:
The tire was on the bike when I bought it, but it served me well. I do still have it. My son's 06 65 came with Dunlops, but I did have to change them after about 6 months due to excessive knob removal. I am pretty sure that they came off because I wasn't running enough pressure.

o Ok I was wondering because we are looking for the best tires all the time so far its michelin starcross or kenda

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
the millville will hold up to rock and hard terrain descently... on our bikes we have Kenda Trackmasters and I have the millville. i chose that over the trackmaster because it had a little more of an agressive tread pattern

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First off what tires are you running?

Second what terrain are you riding in?

If you use a tire in the wrong terrain, you can go through them every ride. IE a soft or IT tire in the rocks.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Gee, my bike had 30-year-old Bridgestones on it when I bought it and they still looked fine, except for some cracks around the outside edge of the side knobs on the rear tire. So I went and put a $35 Cheng Shin on it instead. Now the Cheng Shin still looks great one year later, but it has never cornered worth a crap. The Old dry-rotted Bridgestone would hold a much tighter grip in a turn. Maybe I bought a tire with too stiff of rubber. Will probably put a new set of Dunlops or Maxxis on it this coming season.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I rode a Cheng Shin behind my CR250 for a little while. The tire wore pretty well, but it did lose a couple of knobs. That tire was dangerous around hard pack corners, though. You never knew when it was going to let go and it wasn't easy to get it back under control.

Top Bottom