mxdaddy527

Oct 4, 2007
Okay, my son is 14 years old and he races 85 and supermini very competitivley (Loretta's/Ponca/Vegas). Any way, he's tired of being beaten by Tomac and Bagget so he wants to ditch the 85's and race 125 junior/ intermediate. I wont get him a 250F because I want to keep him on the 2-strokes as long as I can, but I'll probably end up getting him one when he's 16 or so.
I'm thinking maybe KTM 144, but I dont know the AMA rule if that's allowed in the 125 class. If not then I will probably get him a 125 and put some money into it to try to get it to run withg the 250F.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'4, 115 pounds.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Pretty agressive, maybe a little less on a bigger bike.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Competetive motocross

4) Do you have any riding experience? Riding since he was 3

5) Do you think you will race ? definetly

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes I will be doing all the work. Atleast until he's on a factory team huh?

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I been thinking a 125 or 144.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Every major brand

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $9000

10) Do you live in California? Yes

11) Your age?My sons 14

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
We've ridden suxzuki for 6 years, but I think it's time for a change. I like ktm's, but yamaha's look good to.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
The outta the box KTM144 is legal for '08 The Lites class in '08 permits the 2t to 153CC. We ran a EGYZ144 in the Lites this year and it can compete and the 9CC additional definately will make things more interesting. The 250F will pull the 125... not so with the 144 or 153. Punch the KTM to a 153 do well and send a resume... I suspect good two stroke riders will be hard to come by and once they start winning races and given a marketing shift from manufacutring the competition for factory buc's may become more attractive on the 2t side of things... just my $0.02 worth.
Good Luck

Top Bottom