23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Does anyone who uses a 12T c'shaft sprocket have problems with rapid chain wear? How about breaking a chain in really heavy whoops? I am considering dropping to a 12T, then maybe even adding a couple more on the rear - looking for a tractor-like 1st gear. Just don't want to invite unnecessary problems. :think:

With stock gearing this thing has a street-bike 1st gear - not so good on rocky hills & such.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Jayhawk,

I have read all the same stuff about going down to 12 or 11 on the front. I had a 12T for the longest time and never broke a chain. I don't believe I wore out the sprockets or chain any faster then normal. It was great for trucking around in the woods but I went back to a 13T for the track.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I put one on about 3 weeks ago. Not a problem...yet. It really gives you lowend grunt. I lost alot of top speed though. I am still with the 47 rear so still have plenty, so I'm not too dissapointed. Who wants to keep up with their brothers 500 on top speed anyway. Not me. Not that it ever could.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
The stock chain on the 200 stretches so bad it needs to be adjusted every ride; you'll be glad when it wears out. I ran a Talon 12 tooth with the stock chain and back sprocket with no problems, except the execssive stretching and associated sprocket wear, as have many others here. I did have to knock out 2 links when I ran out of adjustment.

When the stock chain eats your sprockets, get an o-ring chain. Better yet, get the chain now and save your sprockets! Mines a Regina with 110 links and I've now got a 50 tooth Sunstar steel in back and a 13 in front.

I've got 3 rides including a HS on this combo and haven't had to adjust the chain yet!

Last edited:

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
12T for H/S season or longer. Much better than 13T for me. No chain problems. I think I had to adjust once or twice.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
the 12t would wear just a little more (less teeth=sprockett spins faster),but then again, alot of other factors contribute to chain wear.
riding style,slack chain, sprockett composite, etc.
You'll get better acceleration w/ less teeth, but more top end speed w/ more t'
I like a 14t on my KDX 250 & a 13t on my 200. Both steel.

rvguy

May 31, 2002
I put a 12T (12/47)on my 200. First gear is ulta low, but perfect for the rock and root infested hills around here. Now the bike shifts more like a KX. I find myself starting in second most of the time. As for top speed, I haven't had the space to rev it out in 6th. Keep in mind that a 12/47 is the same as a 13/51. You may want to consider a 13/49 or 13/50 to make first gear more useful.
-JMO

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Thanks to all. I think I will get a cheap 12T & give it a try. Based on Jeff's experience, sounds like the stock chain probably won't have too many miles in it. Then I can get a Renthal/Regina/etc. with new sprockets F&R - can fine tune final ratio then.

One more Q - an O-ring chain has no clearance problems going through the case saver in front? Or through the chain guides?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I put an 0-ring on my sons 200 about 6 months ago. The chain itself seated into the guide by the end of the first ride. We perform regular inspections and to date there is no signs of abnormal wear to the chain or master link (clip type). As for the 12t, I changed my 220 to a 12t and absolutely love it. The 220 has more low end over the 200 before, but now 3rd and 4th gear take me almost everywhere. The great thing about the 12t change is you will not need to modify you chain, so if you want to change back it is about a 10 minute job.
Lew

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I didn't have to modify my guide, maybe because it was already fairly worn from the stock chain.

Jayhawk, the 220 comes with an o-ring chain. Check buykawasaki.com to see if the 200 and 220 have the same guide. If they do, you shouldn't have any trouble. But do keep an eye on the master link clip as these do wear, especially if the guide is misaligned somehow or bent.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
A good o'ring chain will be fine. I tried a 12t and 49t rear, If you ride tight trails you will not like this set-up. It's hard to keep the front end
on the trail, it my pull off the bottom like a tractor like you want, but
the power is hard to control in tight woods.

Top Bottom