KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
I just got an 88 KDX200 it has a thirteen tooth spocket on front and a 52 tooth spocket on rear everything else is stock does any one have an opinoin on running these two gears together goog or bad.

Thanks

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If I remember correctly, 13/47 is stock so you are geared just a little lower. Should be great for tight going and climbing. Only loss will be top speed, like maybe desert.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i run stock 13/48 on my 87, if i go up to say a 13/50 for more low-end climbing, how many extra links to i add---what's the formula, or do you just add a few and see if it's enough?

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
KDXKen- i run 13/52 on my '02 200. It's great if you like a granny 1st for tight uphills or just for crawling, plus it's easy to take off in 2nd if you want to really move (+ I can go thru pretty tight woods in 2nd). The only drawback for me is "fireroads" and such-- it does have a low topend speed now-- I keep going for another gear. If you make alot of good mods and have a really strong engine you may want to gear a little higher.
sorry ZKDX, I can't remember the # of links either way.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
iv got a 12/48 witch is the same as a 13/51 but front sprocket is cheaper to buy and takes only a few min to install. my gearing is great i lot better than stock

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i put a 12 on the front this weekend, still running a 48 rear, too damn cold to ride though, hoping this weekend. I hope dropping to 12 will help me more in the woods

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
12t cs sprockets are mucho hard on chains. Better off with a larger front.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I also run a 12 front with a 46 rear - i really like that gearing for the bush, plus it's easy to gear up for the road. A 12 tooth sprocket isn't going to wear your chain any faster that you'd notice.

Cheers,

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I believe you will like the 12 tooth sproket. Gives a nice hit at lower speeds and more tracable power for climbing. Extra wear on chain and gearing? Do you get to ride enough to make any difference? I wish I got to ride enough to worry about it. The nice thing about a KDX is that you can set it up like you prefer it and enjoy it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Here we go with another 12T/chain debacle......

Not intending to acerbate the wicked tongues of the 'pros-in-the-know'...but a 12T CS sprocket will work just fine.

Is it harder on a chain than a 13? Yeah. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I can run a 12/47 combo with basic chain maintenance (NOT including much in the way of cleaning, but with consistent lubrication) for two years on a bike that's out most every weekend to the tune of close to 3000 miles. Mostly single track woods but with a trip or two to the dunes.

Yep..it's time for a new final drive setup about now, but it's still got a bit of go left to it.

Anyway, the post asked for opinions. Guess everyone has one, 'eh?

I wouldn't want a 13/52. Too low (4.0). Stock (13/47=3.61) is too high for the single track around here. I run that ratio on the sand and it's fine.

12/47 (3.91) is just right. imo.

You can easily change the CS as opposed to the rear sprocket. Takes you a minute or two.

Stock chain length is 108 links. 110 link length is needed for the 50T rear. Don't know about the 52T.

OEM gearing will get you about 75mph. Dropping a tooth on the CS will drop that about 5. Those figures not derived from math, but measured on GPS/Panoram on two different '01 200s.

When all is said and done.....
you can set it up like you prefer it and enjoy it.

You bet'cha!! Amen!! If that means 14/52 suits you, then you have a great time with it!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Honda tried it and found out the truth.
Yes it does wear a chain out faster than a bigger gear. It's a fact of engineering, not just my "knowitall" opinion.

canyan, when you say it's time to change out, but still has some go left to it...what in the blue blazes are you talking about? You must mean, "my drive is worn out, but I choose to run it till the teeth shave off". Yes?

Sheesh folks, I'm not talking about running things till the hinges break in two...you can do anything you want if that is your take on things. Why even concern yourself with whats mechanically proper if you do things the wrong way? I say do what feels good, but don't try to convince others to engage in your silly practices.

Oh,.,,,and one more thing, many of you always say "hey it only takes a minute or two to change the CS sprocket". Well, if you have a hole in your cars exhaust, you can take a minute or two and wrap muffler tape around the hole. Good to go then, huh.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A stock set-up gives you a ratio of 3.6:1. Going to a 14t front would net you a 3.35:1 ratio, which would make things a bit taller. You would gain a bit of speed potential on the top end, but loose low end grunt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom