19" Rear Rim?

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
If I'm not mistaken, which I may be, the taller tire helps with wheelspin. Not sure, but thats what Im guessing.

Brains

Mar 28, 2002
Theres something you may not hear from the NASA guys.
The average trail rider uses his tryes untill they are really on there way out.
The average motor X rider throws away his tryes while theres still enough on them to make me smile.
Whats my point?
Theres alot of really good 2nd hand 19" tyres out there and few 18"
tyres.
This may not be the case everywhere, but it works for me in the SA.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
I believe that I read somewhere that the diameter of the tires works out to be the same. The 18" have a higher profile (more sidewall) than the 19's. 18's are generally 100 aspect ratio, 19's are 90 aspect ratio. They say 18's offer better protection for your rims since there is more sidewall before the rock or whatever hits your rim.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
I think the advantage of 19" in motocross is that with a shorter sidewall the tire will flex less when cornering, giving more control.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
19 " wheel and 18" wheel have the same diameter when the tires are mounted. If not the same it is very, very close. The 19" provides better cornering, this is why they are used on motocross bikes, as previously stated DCMan. The 18" wheel provides more protection from flats resulting from pinched tubes as a result of the greater sidewall height. This is why off road bikes come with 18" wheels.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
on my KDx250, someone mounted a KX250 19" rear rim on it. Traction is about the same as most 18" wheel bikes I have ridden. I will have to check the cornering after fire season at the local riding area.

But one disadvantage is that the tire on there, IRC something, is taking out the rear airbox mudflap. There is really nothing left of it and no reason to get another one cause there is just not enough room between the tire and swingarm for the flap to no hit the tire.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
no it is the right size. The problem is with the IRC tires. They are built narrow and tall. Look at one vs a Dunlop in the same size. You will see what I mean.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Matt it sounds to me like your chain may be too short. If your chain were a link longer you could move the whole rear wheel assembly back.
This may have been a result of a larger sproket being used with out using a longer chain.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…