May 22, 2009
Whatsup everybody? I know this Question has been asked many times before, so i would definatly appreciate any help i could get. i have never ridin any motorcycle before, but have really wanted a dirtbike since i was in 6th or 7th grade but was unable to get one because of a lack of funds and lack of vehicle to trasport the bike. Now being older, i have my own truck and am in a position where i can finally afford my own bike and am curious what i should start out on. thank you for ANY help you can give me.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

I am 6'2 and weigh around 175

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

i am begining to get alot more physical. played hockey most of my life.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

i would like to start of on trails but when i get compfertable i would like to start mx/sx tracks

4) Do you have any riding experience?

no

5) Do you think you will race ?

I would like to eventually

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

i am mechanically inclined but will most likely not be doing my own work for now.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

i was leaning towards a 4 stroke but i am open to the idea of a 2 stroke. i was also looking into a honda but again am open to suggestions

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Honda, Ktm, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

not sure yet, but whatever it will take to get a decent bike

10) Do you live in California?

Yes

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Although i myself have never rode before, i am surrounded by people who do and could help me out.

Thanks for any help you can give!

-M

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Find a nice clean 125 2 stroke, the newer the better. If you plan to do MX you really shouldn't buy a trail bike. The MX bikes are higher maintenance so you'll want to take advantage of any offers from people to show you how to take care of it. The 4 stroke MX bikes are more costly to maintain but if you can afford it they are great bikes. The power is super smooth and has great pull where a 125 is more peaky and really only strong in the top end. The 125 2t is a hoot to ride though. Good luck with finding something.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
Starting out, I would say 4stroke. If you change your mind and go with trail riding and live by a heavily wooded and mountainous place that you'll probably be riding in, then definitely go with 4 stroke. Those are best for woods riding and cow trails. Try to get a water cooled one if you can w/o too much trouble. The new air cooled 4s are more grandpa and family mom type bikes. (Ex. '05 CRF 230. My '94 XR 200 beats it most every time)
I would get a 250 4 stroke. (I'm 6'0" and 170lbs. and started on a '74 SL 125 and moved up to my 200) If you think you can it is always best for experience reasons to start on a less powerful bike and you will get some good skills on that. (If you can go on your 4s 125 where all your friends with 250s go, you will kick their butts when you jump up bike sizes and get used to the new bike.)

J-man

May 16, 2007
For your size and experience I would say go with the 125 2 stroke. After awhile on that (maybe 6-9 months) you can look into something bigger, But for now the 125 would be perfect for you.

Top Bottom