zachattack1

Nov 10, 2008
Hey, so me and my dad are fixing up this old 76' RM125 (Suzuki) and were anxious to start it up. We ordered a kick start and put it on. We tried to start it but it wouldn't go so we popped a little starting fluid in with the spark plug.

Before we started it, the throttle wouldn't return to it's normal position but we could move it back manually.

So anyway, we tried again and it fired up. I was surprised when it started because the throttle was all the way up (so that's why the throttle didn't return to it's normal position). That thing is so loud that my ears are still ringing. The pipe on it is about 2 inches long which explains why! Man, that scared the heck out of me... :whoa:

We quickly hit the kill and saw oil on the ground. I pointed out that their was a hole in the crank case that I hadn't seen before.

What happened is the kick start hit the crank case and put a hole right in it. A chunk of metal is missing so it's possible it went into the case. Our plan is to take everything off the crank case and pull it open.

I believe my dad said it was magnesium so he can't wield that. What we thought we could do is get some of that paste stuff that seals metal together.

But, maybe theirs a better way so does anyone know?

Our plan to stop the kick start from hitting the crank case is to wield a piece of metal to prevent the foot peg from going back any further. This way, the kick starter will hit the peg instead of popping a hole in the crank case.

Top Bottom