1911gnr

Oct 15, 2008
I just picked it up Sunday from a dude, it's been sitting at his house for 4 years. He was tired of looking at it, so he gave it to me. It needs work to say the least, but everything's there except the chain. Not only is it my first project, it's my first bike period. I have no idea where to start, as far as restoration. I've been researching all week for parts and info, and am having a hard time with both. I did manage to pick up an owners manual today. The biggest problem is a Gigantic gaping hole in the casing behind the sprocket, that let water in and it rusted the gears and I cant move the kickstarter at all. Another guy at work said have someone run a compression test to see if the engine needs to be rebuilt completely. I'm completely lost, maybe I bit off more than I could chew, so any help at all would be fantastic.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ouch. Hole in the case and rusted gears?! I think you need to start searching ebay for new cases and transmission. If you have the part that busted out, you might be able to get it welded back, replace transmission parts and put in new bearings.
Honestly, I'd look for a replacement engine through salvages and ebay. If you can't find one for nice price, I'd probably part out the bike on that online auction site and re-invest your proceeds towards a project with not so major problem.

1911gnr

Oct 15, 2008
That's what I was afraid of, I was leaning towards that anyway if there's nothing I can do. I did manage to find a 77 with a complete engine and transmission, but can I swap parts from a different year bike?

1911gnr

Oct 15, 2008
That is the best news I've heard so far. I found a 77' in Canada that looks solid, engine wise. I just have to figure out shipping and the cost of the parts themselves.

Top Bottom