zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
Here's a project bike I picked up awhile ago. So far, I stripped all that nasty blue paint off the fenders, tank & sidecovers. They look real nice under the blue except the tank, which will need repainting. Anyone know of a good match? Does PJ1 make anything close to OEM color?

002-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
zrxrider said:
Here's a project bike I picked up awhile ago. So far, I stripped all that nasty blue paint off the fenders, tank & sidecovers. They look real nice under the blue except the tank, which will need repainting. Anyone know of a good match? Does PJ1 make anything close to OEM color?

I only see 1 fender. :nener:

You would probly have better luck having an automotive paint supply shop mix up some paint as close to the factory color as possible.

Cool project bike, looks to be a pretty good starting point. Keep us posted!

zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
My bad, yes it only has the 1 fender. I was told these 450's like to wheelie and thats probably why its missing. :yikes: :laugh:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I have the paint, but the bike would need to be parked in my garage first! :nod:

Seriously, I agree, Rick with Vintage Iron will have or know what you need to finish the bike. Tell him Roger sent ya'!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I'm restoring two 79 Maicos, a 400 and 440. I have tons of sources and Vintage Iron is only one of many! PJ1 has a 78-79 Honda paint that is spot on and I've seen a bunch of Maicos painted with that came out nice. I've also seen other methods ranging from 2 part marine paint, auto paint, and powder. I sent you an email in this site.

John

zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
PJ1 has a 78-79 Honda paint that is spot on and I've seen a bunch of Maicos painted with that came out nice.

Cool! Thats what I was looking for. I'm not doing a 100% perfect resto but a clean rider so that will work for me. Any idea on pistons? I did a search and couldn't find anything?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Did you check out the Maico owners site I emailed you about? They have a ton of info. Do a search and you will find a bunch. Bill Eyler at East Coast Maico, NW CZ/Maico, AMS, DC Plastics, Circle K, Rage, Vintage Iron, Bike Buzzard - these are just a few that cross my mind. The discussion group has a ton of members that sell parts also. BTW, if you plan to replace the plastic decide if you want shiny or dull finish. There is a difference in the molding techniques the aftermarket shop use. Some of the racers don't care and opt with "seconds". If you call them and ask if they have complete packages that are seconds (slight irregularities) you'll get a better deal. If you want a shiny bike that's a different story (like this one).

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Another example of bling. Alot of the guys are doing this. I shot this at an AHRMA race but this bike did not run (track was to dusty, lol).

zrxrider

Nov 24, 2008
:yikes: That is one nice looking bike! I haven't had a chance to looking into that Yahoo site. When i'm done with this yz125 i'm working on, I might play some more on the 450. I just have TOO many projects......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom