Sep 13, 2005
I'm 14 years old looking for a 2 stroke dirtbike. Near my house is a 1979 yz125, has had a rebuild and quite a few aftermarket parts, also comes with other parts. I have never ridden a dirt bike before (I have ridden a moped though), I have a 05 Raptor 350 so I'm familiar with the clutch/shifter, I know a few guys who know 2 stroke engines inside out that would help me if anything ever went wrong with it and I'm willing to work on it myself too. It says $550 OBO on the board, do you think this would be a good bike for me to start with and/or work on. (it also says runs strong on the board).

EDIT**

Ok so I just found this sticky so I'll throw this stuff in here.
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) I'm about 5'10" maybe a little taller
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I like to ride hard.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? With friends probably mostly trail riding and screwing around at a sand pit type place.
4) Do you have any riding experience? 2 or 3 years on a Blaster and 1 year on my Raptor 350
5) Do you think you will race ? Possibly but wouldn't on this bike
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I have never worked on bikes or anything but would like to. Like I said I have access to tons of knowledge about bikes.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? There is a guy in town who deals with used atv's/dirtbikes/motorcycles who I would probably be able to get parts from if needed.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?would like to spend around 400-600
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Above

I dont know if any of that helped but there you go.

Last edited:

Buj20

Jul 29, 2005
It wouldnt be a bad beginner bike for you. It wouldnt have nearly the power of today's 125 or even the 85's for that matter. The price is TOO HIGH, if you could get it for about $250 I'd go for it.

Sep 13, 2005
Ya I think I'll pass this one up. What do you think I could find for maybe 400-500 dollars maybe a little more or less, I want a 2 stroke, I would be willing to work on it to get it running or running better.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
There is stuff out there you just need to keep your eyes open. This week or next im buying a 87 YZ250 for 150 bucks... so there is definatly stuff out there. You just need to look. Good luck.

Top Bottom