nicks_dakota

Apr 29, 2008
Hello All,
I recently purchased a 1980 Suzuki RS175. The bike is in fair to rough condition, but starts and runs. I paid way too much for the thing, so I would at least like to get some use out of it. The bike starts up with little effort, but refuses to idle. I decided to clean the carb. After cleaning, the bike starts fine, but still refuses to idle...I am not really sure where my fuel and air screws should be set. It appears that the bike is flooding horribly...with the airbox boot removed and engine running, I can see the carb shooting gas out. When riding the bike, take-off feels very sluggish (the engine bogs something terrible) until the rmp's get up and the powerband kicks in...once the powerband hits, the bike runs great up until 5-6 gears, where it just feels really flat, like it is starving for fuel. I really think the bike is running entirely too rich during idle and at low rpms, but wide open in the last two gears, it seems like it isn't getting enough fuel...I am confused...I don't know what to do next. Could worn out reeds possibly cause this problem or do I still not have the carb right. Moving on...the bike seems to have very little compression (I can push the kickstart down with my hand....is this normal?)...so I was thinking that it may be time for a rebuild. I have read somewhere that the piston from a PE175 will also work in this bike. Which brings me to my next question....where could I find engine parts for this model (i.e. piston, rings, pin, clips, base gasket, head gasket)? I have found some of these parts, on the online auction website that starts with an E...but try as I might I cannot find a head gasket anywhere. I guess that pretty much covers the issues at hand. I know very little (nothing) about two strokes, so...is there anything else that I should check for...or anything else that I will most likely have to replace? I thank everyone beforehand for any and all replies.

Top Bottom