KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am considering picking up a 81 OR250 (the current owner wants to work out a trade on my 76 RM250 or maybe my 370). I am not that familiar with Huskys, but know even less about the OR's.

From a quick search here I learned (tell me if I get this wrong), the ORs were more set up for desert, larger capacity gas tank, has essentially the CR suspension (longer than the WR's), tranny ratios are a hybrid of CR and WR, (optimal!), it should have a lighting coil if I wanted to rig up a headlight (no clue why I would though). hmmm I think thats about it. Did I pass the test?

Here are my questions

How is the OR viewed from a popularity standpoint - is it the forgotten step child no one wants, so is less valuable, or is it comparably sought after compared to the WR or CR of same vintage? (I dont want to end up with a bike that has no future "audience" to sell to if I were to sell it at some point)

Are there any common trouble spots for me to watch out for on this bike?

How would it do as a vintage woods bike? Reasonably well, or not so well? Or would it do Ok as a Vintage MX'er? (in some ways this goes back to the "audience" question above, but also to decide if it might fit in with the use I might give it. I see myself having it as a play bike to woods ride with when I want to perhaps just enjoy the grin factor from a nice older bike.

One thing i did not get straight in looking at old posts (primarily one on a 79 OR that seemed relevant), is the distinctions in the engines OR vs CR vs WR. I have the impression the OR is more similar to the CR. Is this then a more "moto" type porting and pipe than the WR (which I would assume is set up more for low end, less "hit" etc for woods use)?

The bike I am looking at seems to be in very nice shape, very well maintained, Ohlins recently rebuilt etc. so I dont think I am getting into a junker here - so its down to a question of "fit" - is it the kind of bike I could enjoy as a rider? I hope to ride it later this coming week. i will post my thought then!

Thanks

Mike

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Anybody? See also my post on Husky Ignition issues!

thanks!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Yeah, I would of loved to pick up that OR, but no deal came together. The seller wanted to trade it on my RM370, but we were just to far apart on values given some of the work his needed vs all the NOS goodies on my 370. The OR's ignition was going (cut out at higher RPM) as well as some rather nasty noises out of the tranny. Just as well to not do the deal was my conclusion.

Now...I have decided I have a desparate need for a Penton Jackpiner - I have delusions of taking one to the Jackpine someday I guess!

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
This was an old thread, but here is some info that might help you out with your questions. I don't think an 80's model OR is what you would call rare, at least in reference to it being worth more other period models.
HuskyInfo1.jpg

HuskyInfo2.jpg

Dale

Last edited:

80Husky

Dec 22, 2001
Dale

Thanks so much....is this info for an '80 do you know?

Dangit! No power rating listed...but excellent info!!!!!

Joe

Last edited:

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
It is for either a 79 or an 80 I can't remember which year it was for, but the differences between the two models were not that great.

Dale

80Husky

Dec 22, 2001
Thanks Dale....

Wierd.... I thought the Ohlin Shocks on the bike now were stock and not Curnutts which the data shows.

Sweet Husky you have...much cleaner than mine...I have the
high capacity plastic tank on mine.

Do you run premium, what mix, and what gearbox oil do you use?

Nice to know another '80 owner.

Last edited:

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I had a '78 390OR that came with Curnutts, but my "81 430XC (the new designation for the OR) came with Ohlins, so somewhere in-between they changed. The Curnutt shocks where sweet, very plush and the faster you went the better they damped. Dr Curnutt had a different Idea for shocks. He thought that the springs was to hold the seat up and hydraulics did the rest. They were made in the USA and the seals where available off the shelf.

In the Huskys I use 93 octane with Yamalube R with Yamalube 4T in the trans.

Dale

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Seeing this old thread pop back up is interesting! I see waaaay back in November 2004, i commented i just HAD to have a Penton. I just got one a couple weeks ago. Not the Jackpiner I had originally been shooting for - but a 76 Cross Country (GS6) 250. Evidently my patience has rewarded me!

Decent bike - literally a first kick starter, recent rebuild. Needs cosmetic and other restoration, but as this will be a rider bike I am not to concerned. About the only big need I have for it is shocks as the stockers are shot. (anyone got any around 14" long give or take an inch or so?)

I am gonna have some fun on this old scoot!

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Congrats on the Penton! Nothing like an original KTM. No shocks that short around here but Craig at Huskyclub or Sudco could probably fix you up.

Dale

Top Bottom