dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
HI
I'm 15 and I just bought my first dirt bike. The bike was pretty old so I took the carburator into my small engines class took take it apart and clean it and my somewhat retarded teacher put the floats in upside down without me knowing. Now after I put the floats in right the thing spews gas everywhere out of the overflow. I tried adjusting the float level with the tab and that makes it stop the gas but as soon as you try to start ithe engine, it starts leaking again and it doesn't stop until you turn of the petcock. Has anyone ever hear of this? does anyone have any ideas about what to do? any help would be greatly appreciated

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Good ol rm's. Mine did the same thing. Make sure you take every single jet out and clean it super good. The floats should have the little pins closest to the bottom of the carb, and the float tab can really only go one way so you should be able to figure that out quick. If it still overflows trying giving it a light tap on both sides with a screwdriver to make them unstick. And then they should be good, but you might have to tap them now and again. But when you have it apart again take the floats out put them in a container with some gas and hold them under and if they fill up, you need new floats, if the float then you're good.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
take the floats out shake them to see if there is any fuel inside of them, if there is you have a hole in your floats and you need new ones, and while its apart replace the float needle and its seat.

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Make sure the 'arms' that the float pins ride on are as even to each other as possible or your float level setting won't be accurate

If your floats and needle-n-seat check out then your float level is probably wrong.

If you replace the needle-n-seat, get them from www.dennikirk.com instead of the dealer and save yourself a chunk of money :)

luck!

el.sinore

Nov 6, 2006
my MT250 used to overflow all the time when the old guy down the road gave it to me. my dad and i could never figure it out. we finally found a carb kit and replaced the needle and seat. also the previous owner bent the float so many times adjusting it that we just found another one. the needle will still stick in the seat sometimes and i have to tap both sides of the carb a couple times with my leatherman and then its fine. good luck

Top Bottom