1981 Yamaha IT250 Exhaust and other dumb questions.

Janitor Pants

Jun 13, 2008
Hi guys, I am a newbie here and have been trolling around the site for a little bit, looks like a great site with lots of information. I have been searching but couldn't find what I was wondering so here it goes.

I bought a 1981 Yamaha IT250 a few days ago, overall it is in quite good condition, I am still working out a few bugs with it, but am slowly making progress.

My pipe has a massive dent in it and I am looking into options to pull the dent, I have heard welding rods and heat, air pressure and heat, water and freezers or drilling holes and using a slide hammer followed by brazing. Has anybody tried any of these methods and with what degree of success?

Also I was looking around for aftermarket pipes, I could find pieces for a 1981 yz250, but not the it250, will these pipes interchange, or is there a better option for me.

Lastly, I am still working out carb issues, it will start and run fine as long as the choke is on, it rides alright, but it seems like I can never get it to rev up hard like I would expect a 2-stroke to (which makes sense with the choke on). As soon as I turn the choke off the bike will quit. I tore the carb apart and cleaned it out quite well, cleaned and reoiled my air filter, and I checked the plug. The plug was a little grey, but didn't look too bad. Since I cleaned it, I can now run it with the choke half off, and it is a little better, but still doesn't run with the choke completely off. I am going to try and hit it with some starting fluid tomorrow to test the boot, but am still a little puzzled by this. Any thoughts would be more than welcome. Also I noticed while I was cleaning the carb that there is a threaded hole that is open into the barrel of the carb about half way up the barrel, there is a threaded hole on the other side exactly opposite to it that does not go all the way through, should there be something threaded into this hole? Hopefully that description makes sense, if not I can try and get a picture later. Unfortunately the only carbs I am really super familiar with is the dual carb setup on my 660 raptor, so this is a little new to me.

Thanks for looking guys, hopefully you can shed some light for this confused soul.

Top Bottom