1983 tt600 Engine teardown help...please!!

Jaguars7129

Jan 2, 2009
Hello, I am 17 and have been doing general maintenance and repair on my dirtbikes for my whole life...i have done topend rebuilds on all my two stroke bikes, but now i was wondering if anyone would give me some info on my tt 600 job i am considering attempting...the engine runs great but the case is broken where the kick shaft bolts on so i bought a new case and was wondering the magnitude and complexity of tearing down the engine and swappiing the cases...also could i get away with just replacing the broken half or do i have to do both..Please let me know your thought on this and let me know any info possible including websites, past experience or anything else..thanks a lot in advance

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
1. Buy a service manual.
2. Read the service manual.
3. Read the service manual again.
4. The service manual is your friend.
5. Any questions, refer to the service manual.

Jaguars7129

Jan 2, 2009
lol..thanks i already have the clymer manual..and look it over alot...should it be a relatively easy job if i use the manual..thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Just be sure to follow the manual. The Clymer manual is not as complete as the factory manual but it will be a big help.

If you have any questions, just ask in this thread.

Good luck.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
only one thing to be aware. if this engine is the same as latest xt600 then you will need a BIG impact gun and a 34 or 37 socket to take the crankshaft nut (clutch side) out. i do not remember what was the socket, but i do remember that it was hard to take out... and my small impact gun was not enough to fit the big socket...

ps. if you are used to two stroke dirt bike engines, watch out, this engine IS heavy. :cool:

Top Bottom