onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
Hope I can get some help here. Cylinder head is (sleeved) yes this one has been done aftermarket... I just had it bored 2 sizes over std because it was seized. The shop ordered a Wiesco piston set but it's for an 86 as Wiesco doesn't make an oversize for an 85. Mechanic claims it will work. 85 and 86 are different head designs per my research. Talked to a factory rep in California from Kawasaki who has worked on them and said it should be fine but couldn't confirm. Piston skirt doesn't interfere with the crank during revolution. I don't have the old piston to compare but I am probably going to stuff it together and go for it. Once i've assembled the bottom end I'll crank it over by hand to see all clears then install the head and plug to check as well.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Make sure the pisto comes up about flush with the deck, while its there look in the exhaust port and make sure the piston skirt extends below it. No doubt you've already checked the ring pins won't allow the rings to open into a port. Good luck

onthefly

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks Tom. I did as you said and the piston skirt does extend below it for sure. As far as the ring pins on the piston go they are exposed to 2 small ports if I bring the piston all the way down in the cylinder. That being said I don't think the piston stroke allows them to be exposed on the down stroke but will mock up the top end and take a measurement from the deck to the top centre of the piston then take it off and give it a visual to confirm.

Thanks...I have put alit of time and research into this bike.It is my son's and he is 14. He is excited to get it going. I will post pics when done. Paid 300.00 and will be into it for about 725.00. I've gone over everything from fork seals, carb, brakes plastic, cables, paint and major cleaning..so I hope this works out.

Thanks

Top Bottom