Dirt Mcgirt

Aug 5, 2009
KDX200 Help Please

Hello, I had just purchased a 1988 KDX200 and I was informed that the carburetor had not been cleaned since last season. I know very little about carburetors and was wondering if someone could shoot me a few pointers as to clean it up without breaking stuff.

I have also noticed that when I'm standing next to the bike, and apply some pressure on the front suspension, there is about an inch or so that doesn't fully bounce back. I did see that there were air valves at the top of each fork; do they need air...and if so what PSI would be appropriate?

My chassis has fittings all over it...can you use the same grease guns that you would use for a car or truck's fittings?

Last thing I noticed when the engine warmed up, is that it idles high. The man whom I bought it from said that the clutch had just been replaced, so I'm assuming that isn't the case; what could that be caused by...air/idle screw, improper jetting perhaps?

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Dirt Mcgirt said:
Hello, I had just purchased a 1988 KDX200 and I was informed that the carburetor had not been cleaned since last season. I know very little about carburetors and was wondering if someone could shoot me a few pointers as to clean it up without breaking stuff.

When I speak of cleaning a carburetor it is a process of taking it all apart (including removal of the jets) and soaking the metal parts in a strong solvent for a while. Rinse with water, blow with compressed air, re-assemble with new gaskets.

I only do that when there is a reason to, not just because it hasn't been done in a while. If you turn the gas off at the tank and then run the gas out of the carburetor when you are done riding then you shouldn't have a problem with the carburetor getting gummed up.

Dirt Mcgirt said:
I have also noticed that when I'm standing next to the bike, and apply some pressure on the front suspension, there is about an inch or so that doesn't fully bounce back.

sounds normal to me

Dirt Mcgirt said:
I did see that there were air valves at the top of each fork; do they need air...and if so what PSI would be appropriate?

Opposite is true: use these to bleed the air out of the forks.

Dirt Mcgirt said:
My chassis has fittings all over it...can you use the same grease guns that you would use for a car or truck's fittings?

yes

Dirt Mcgirt said:
Last thing I noticed when the engine warmed up, is that it idles high. The man whom I bought it from said that the clutch had just been replaced, so I'm assuming that isn't the case; what could that be caused by...air/idle screw, improper jetting perhaps?

I am not understanding any relationship between a high idle and a new clutch.

If it idles too fast it is probably just the adjustments on the carburetor. Getting a dirt bike to idle properly, especially when in gear with the clutch pulled, is always a challenge. Racers tend to not care about idle and go for maximum engine braking, while trail riders tend to pass on maximum engine braking so they don't have to play with the throttle while they are stopped.

A typical carburetor will have two screws accessible from the outside that you can adjust. One sets the idle speed, the other sets the idle mixture. The speed screw is usually larger and more obvious. The mixture screw can be shrouded and require a skinny screwdriver to access. Slowing the speed down is usually a counterclockwise turn on the speed screw. You may need to adjust the mixture screw for best idle at the lower speed.

Rod

Dirt Mcgirt

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks a ton Rod! I really like this bike and want to get it in tip-top shape. I'm used to my friend's 95 cr250 so buying this bike was a slight step-down, but I think it will make a really great tactical bike for the woods.

I don't know too much about jets and the mixture screws; but I would love to...I do find my self messing with the idle screw a bit; if it's high I pull it out a little. The bike starts after just a few kicks...It does need a little work, but I'm willing to put a little money into it so I can have a classic.

Are there any sites or locations where I can hone my mechanical knowledge/skills...I would love to be able to work on my own bike and I am really excited to finally have one of my own.

Thanks again,
~Johnny

Last edited:
Top Bottom