kdxnewbie

Aug 18, 2002
:| I just bought a 1986 kdx 200 and man do i have questions !
I've never owned a kawi before so i don't know what to do with it!

First of all does this bike have any top end at all ??
2 Is it suposed to heat up in 5 minutes !! I mean realy overheat
3 How big of a difference in performance does the final exhaust make as opposed to not having any!
4 How much compression is it suposed to have? (I read 90 psi)
THe wrist pin came out of the piston when it was running and gouged the cylinder pretty bad but it still runs! could this be the whole problem ?

ANYTHING WOULD REALY BE APRECIATED
[email protected]

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
umm... needs atleast 100 psi to even start (even then it would need to be push started) If any 2 stroke does not have atleast 130 it is probably not running as powerfully as it could. It the cylinder is gouged then you are losing power. The piston rings can't seal a gouge like that and give you good compression. I hope you got this bike for next to nothing as it needs a complete top end rebuild by a qualified shop. Good Luck.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
1. anydirtbike, has a top end the top end refers to the piston, cylinder, cylinder head and that whole assembly in a two-stroke.
2. depending on what you mean by warm up yes or no. yes it should take around five minutes to warm your bike up fully. this means the cases are warm and the cylinder is warm/hot to the touch andeverything is runing at operating temperature. however no, a bike should not overheat in 5 minutes. An 86 kdx is air cooled, if it overheats the piston, crankchaft, wrist pin or lower rod bearing will begin to seize or completely stop. if your bike is seizing you have a major problem. this means you have a bad bearing(or multiple bad bearings) in the engine and they are causing excessive heat. Another more likely scenario is that you arent running the right amount of oil in your gas, in this case, by now you probabley need to rebuild the whole engine.
3. on two strokes exhaust makes a huge difference. if you run a bike with no pipe you will either have a bike that does not run at all or a bike that revs uncontrollabley. do not do this. if you are refferring to the muffler, you can run bike with no muffler, but it will be sickeningly loud, and have no spark arrestor ( it is also illegal to ride on public land)
4. if you have a large gouge in the cylinder the minimum you need is a top end rebuild ( this includes a new piston, rings, and in your case a sleeve or cylinder bore job)
good luck, keep posting with more questinos and let us know how your bike comes along. be sure to mix your gas with twoo-stroke oil at a 32-1 or 40-1 ratio.
Tim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom