greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
Hi, I am trying to unload an old EX500 ( a 1989) and some guy wants to trade me a 1990 KDX. Assuming that it is in OK condition dos this seem fair to you all? I am asking $1200 for the Ninja. I noticed from the pictures tha tthere is a drastic change in apearance in like, '96 or so. Is the bike much different? Can "new" plastic fit on the "old" bikes? Any advice or words of warning?

Thanks

Ken

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
New plastics will not fit.

The bike is a good bike. One flaw is that the motor chews LH power valves. These are not difficult or expensive to replace.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
the design of the KDX changed in 95, any '95 to current parts ar interchangeable. the 1990 will not interchange with the new style parts, but the kdx is still a great bike

greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
Thanks guys.

What is a "LH" power vave? Sorry, I'm a 4-stroke guy!

It's a white one. Is it worth $1000?

Is there a starting "drill" that I need to know, like a 4-stroke?

Thanks guys,

kEn

greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
Also, where can I get more info on this bike? Weight, power, short commings etc.? What else changed in '95 besides the plastic?

Help

ken

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Most modern 2 stokes have a power valve system that changes the volume of the combustion chamber and exhaust pipe harmonics. This allows the powerband to be wider. The 89-94 KDX's (E series) has a habit of eating the gear on the left hand side valve. The generally only occurs on bikes that are not properly jetted and allowed to build up carbon on the valves. Eventually the carbon buildup gets bad enough to seize the valve and the gear strips out.

There is not starting drill on a 2 stroke other than pulling the choke lever up if its cold. Crank over the kickstarter until she lights and then let it warm up for a minute or too (wait till the radiator gets some heat in it) and take off.

Depending on the condition of the bike it can be worth $1000. Older bikes need to gone over with a fine tooth comb. Its common for the bearings (especially the lower shock bearing) to have issues/be junk. Good quality grease (and lots of it, regularly) helps a whole lot. Let us know what it has on it for aftermarket parts (pipe, silencer, etc) and we'll let you know what its worth.

There isn't a whole lot of functional difference between the 89-94 KDX's (E series) and the 95-05 KDX's (H series) except plastics and slightly better ergos. The powervalve system on the H series is a little better and doesn't strip out like the E series does. Forks are conventional on both series, but the H series has Cartridge forks vs the Damper rod forks on the H series.

-Maurice

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The E model KDX's are great bikes. If it's in good condition it's worth all of $1,000.

To get the specs on the bike go to www.buykawasaki.com and look up the bike.

dom

Dec 31, 2001
As the owner of an "E" KDX and an EX500 I'd say it is a fair trade if both bikes are in equal shape. Tires, chain, sprockets, etc add up fast.

chrischaos

Aug 2, 2004
I've got an 89 KDX200 and love it. A little smoke coming out the tail but nothing big. I just turned a 46 mile loop on Sunday along the Gila Mtns and felt real good about my decision to keep her. I've noticed also that you can find a lot of replacement parts fairly easy if your looking to shine her up a bit. I say go for it.

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
I have a 92KDX with all the mods and it absolutely rips. Even though dated, it can be everybit as good as the new ones. The Front Fork can be made to work great with Race Tech fork emulators installed. Look for normal wear items and check top end for compression. Tough to check if the power valves are opening/closing right unless you ride it. Let it warm up thoroughly for this. Tough to check linkage bearings, etc, but the rear end should feel plush not slow or sticky. Just a few thoughts - hope it helps..

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
great bike--paid $700 for mine a year ago and it came with new top end, PC pipe and silencer, almost new michelin s-12's, Boyesen 607 reeds, Moose bars and Unifilter. If it's in great shape with all those goodies, it's worth it----otherwise be prepared to drop $500 plus to get her ship shape. Besides those upgrades listed above, you may also have to replace(if not done recently)---brake pads--$40, chain and sprockets-$100, bearings for wheels, suspension, steering stem-$100+, possible bottom end rebuild $300 or so depending.....Not to sour you on the deal. If it's in great shape, buy it and you'll love it! If it wasn't well maintained, know the $$$$ it will take to get it right and make a decision. :yeehaw:

greendrz

Aug 24, 2004
Thanks guys. I feel good about the deal now, but the guy has droped off the face of the planet. Not exactly motorcycle weather up her the last week though.....

ken

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
You say it is white plastics. Most plastics available now are green and some black. Be prepared to have odd color combinations.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom