Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
Hey guys you might remember me i posted a while back about the problems with my 1990 RM250 i got it running but it died on me and wouldnt spark so i replaced the CDI with a brand new one as the old CDI was testing bad and it still wouldnt spark.

i tested the stator coils and they appear fine but when testing the pick up on the stator plate one of the wires seems to go straight to earth through the backing plate of the stator and i am kinda positive that the pick up is the problem but im not 100% sure if one of the wires goin to the pick up should go straight to earth.

if you guys could let me know what you think that would be great cos if it is the pick up then i will try and convince someone to sell me a pick up seperate lol.

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
i found out that its the actual coils that are going to straight to earth so need a new stator. how come no one really replies on here anymore

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Scotty99983 said:
how come no one really replies on here anymore
I probably reply too much. But I try to only reply if I have some earthly idea how to help or clue as to where you might look for help. And in this case, I of course, can't help. If you read all these posts regularly, the electrical problem questions seem to get a lot less helpful replies than the mechanical questions. That is probably because most of us are in the same boat as you when it comes to chasing electrical gremlins. Sometimes it can be worth the money to pay an expert for a check and diagnosis. The typical answer is the double check and clean all connections and test the kill switch first. Still good advise. But once you are beyond that, it's often a buy and replace; buy and replace; buy and replace affair until the electrical system works again. Post a good piston/cylinder question or exhaust valve question and you'll probably get a lot of good responses. Good luck and I hope you get it running soon !!

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
i never really noticed that its mainly the electrical questions that get less help i just thought that there isnt really as many replies being posted all over as there was when i joined.

im just going with the buy and replace option now lol ive bought the new CDI unit thinking that my one was dodgy but now the stator is actually dodgy so its getting replaced. the new one should be here for the weekend and then ill get out eventually.

cant wait to get out and go BRAAAAAAP!!!!!!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Scotty99983 said:
i never really noticed that its mainly the electrical questions that get less help i just thought that there isnt really as many replies being posted all over as there was when i joined.

Not "mainly" and might not even be true--I didn't audit posts or anything. It just has appeared to me over three years or so I've been on this board, that specific electrical questions sometimes go quite a while before you get an answer. I think it's easier for most gearheads to give intelligent responses to mechanical issues vs. electrical problems. But there are plenty of great answers for electrical problems too on here. But few, if any, will ever be from me!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you have electrical problems you should buy a factory service manual and a good ohmmeter. In the manual it will give you the ohm values for all of your electrical components. The ohm meter will tell you if you are within spec or not. You can also remove the suspect component and take it to your local dealer to have it checked.

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
i have a workshop manual for it and i tested the stuff, the stator tests ok and the CDI units test with different values from the manual. i have tested one brand new CDI, the old one and one known to be a working one and they all test with similar values but they values are out of the spec in the manual

CLUTCH444

Apr 13, 2010
dont over look your kill switch. ive seen those go bad and guys have spent close to as much time and money as you have. its the little things that get ya.

CLUTCH444

Apr 13, 2010
dang, my knowledge ends at that. sounds like you've done everything you should. however, i would definitely re-check ALL the wires and make sure nothing is disconnected like random grounds.

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
yea i checked them all when testing and the only thing i can find that could be the problem is one of the wires going to one side of the coils on the stator goes straight to earth

Top Bottom