1991 YZ250 - Engine Rebuild Questions

Corey

May 23, 2000
Hi Guys!

I am just about to rebuild my 1991 YZ250 Engine after it siezed this past riding season (first season under my belt on a mode!). It siezed because I blew the O-Ring and drained the Rad dry.

I took it into the local shop and they said that they could bore it over .010" to fix the scoring the piston left on the cylinder. I have a couple of questions, if anyone knows the answers I would be really gratefull!

1) I took it to another shop and they said that the stock sleeve is a plated sleeve. From what I can understand plated sleeves can/should not be bored out. I am not sure if the current sleeve is stock or not so I am not sure if it is plated or not, is there a way that I can tell if the sleeve is plated or not? I would assume that the bike shop would be able to tell, but I wouldn't mind knowing so I know if I am going to get ripped off or not. I stuck a magnet on the sleeve and it seemed to stick, not sure if that says anything or not.

2) If the sleeve is not plated and I am able to bore it .010" over, do I have to modify the head to accept the larger bore? The bike shop said that I did not, but I remember reading somewhere that older YZ250's had power issues (Squish Band?) with overbored cylinders. Does anyone know of any issues that I should be aware of when boring out a 2 stroke?

3) If I bore it over, will it affect my carb jetting?

4) The head looks OK, I measured it for warpage as per the manual that came with the bike and it seemed OK, but I noticed that there was some pitting on the intake side of the head. Does this affect performance? Is this just normal wear and tear or should I do something about it while I have the engine apart already? The piston crown seemed OK, a little grey with some speckles in it.

5) Since I have the engine apart, does anyone have any suggestions of any inexpensive ($100-$200 range) engine changes that I can do to make it run faster? There is already a Pro-Circuit pipe on it.

Thanks for any help guys, I am really looking forward to riding this year. The weather up here is starting to look promising!

Corey

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…