Feb 17, 2005
Ok, some magizines say the pipe was slightly changed in 06 (on the YZ250).

I did notice that in the 06's they added a small sleeve just about 8 to 10 inches down the head pipe to add weight (assuming to drown out some resonance). And maybe the 06 got some other changes but I am not sure of those. I do know the 06's sound alittle crisper on the stand vs the 05's but that might not be the pipe alone, that could be jetting.

But I hear some latter 05's also have this updated 06 pipe with the extra sleeve on the pipe. so what gives? I need to know because a friend is offering to sell me a late 05's exhaust system for dirt cheap (never used).

Here is two pictures of my pipe on my 06 with the sleeve, does anyones 05 in here have this sleeve also?

Picture171.jpg

and

Picture169.jpg

Last edited:

RAMHEAD

Sep 13, 2005
What is dirt cheap? I think you should get it for a spare chances are you will damage yours at some point. I don't think there is much of a performance differance in the two. I also know that PC lists the same pipe for both. My friend has an 05 with the collar and the number on the pipe is 170 and another friend of mine has an 06 and the number is 180 both look the same but I sure that a Dealer should be able to tell you. No the less I would buy it.

Feb 17, 2005
I got the pipe and silencer from him today for 60 bucks total. They never been used, not even tested.... swaped for a PC before the bike hit the dirt.

Looking closely, the one i got from him has the sleeve and all sections measure the same as my 06... so alls good.

RAMHEAD

Sep 13, 2005
Can you look at the pipe towards the back on the side that faces out and tell me what the three digit part numbers is? I am currious.

Feb 17, 2005
The numbers I found are 1P800 ...

Its the only numbers on the whole pipe... both pipes have the same numbers. I found it on the outside side of the cone just before the stinger.

Can everyone watching this thread with a 05 or 06 YZ250 go get them numbers off thier pipe and let us know what yours is, and if yours has the sleeve/collar? Thanks

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
not being a butthead here but.....if you have the pipe you want...why does it matter now?

BTW...my 250 was an early model bike.... vin 5307

Feb 17, 2005
Pure Curiosity.... I wanted to know if what I assumed was correct. And so far it is, especially now that you mention yours is a early model.

Doesnt it make you wonder why Yamaha would change the pipe in mid 05 year production but not tell anyone about it, then in 06 claim it has a new pipe? While all along this so called new pipe was already is use on the latter 05 models.

And to confuse people more... if you went to the dealer to get a new pipe for your 05 they would give you the new revised pipe. Basicly, the 05 and 06 pipes have the same part numbers now.

I do know that the YZ's with this revised pipe have a crisper sound and snappier responce.

dunecj2a

Feb 22, 2006
I know its 6 months down the road, but I am really curious about this also. What was determined? Are there 2 different pipes for 05 YZ250's?
How can you tell the difference? How can yami have the same part numbers for 05-06, but then claim to have a new pipe design for 06??????

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Some have said there was a running change during the second half of production in 05. The second half got the good pipes.

If you would help me talk my wife into it, I would be pleased to purchase a second YZ 250. I woudl then be able to compare them for everyone.

I am willing to do this for all of my good friends here at DRN.

Top Bottom