dirtdude007

Feb 4, 2003
i put a zip tie on my fork leg to see how far it travels while jumping. well, i jupmped a 2 foot high wooden ramp to flat land and the zip tie moved down the leg to about three inches from the bottom, near the axle. this does not seem right to me, i think my forks are moving too easily in the midstroke, and it could be the reason why riding seems more like a chore than fun. can anyone tell me if this is normal or if i should send my forks in. i have the oil (5 weight) set at maximum height and the compression clicker at full in hard, i also have my spring rate set for my weight from the race tech site. what is wrong here? i weigh 185 in gear and am a beginner/ intermediate rider.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
It could be a number of things. If your fluid is old, it could be broken down to the point of providing limited dampening. The fork oil height will not impact your midstroke performance; only end of stroke and bottoming resistance. Your clicker settings should make some difference but at a cost. (i.e. low speed harshness) So a fork and shock rebuild and revalve would help; but that could run $500 to $800. Is the bike worth it? Depending on the condition of the rest of the bike, it may make best sense to sell and upgrade. I had a 94 CR250 and the suspension was simply awful. I had it revalved by a local shop here in Houston twice, then by Noleen's in California and finally by MX-Tech. The MX-Tech results were the best but the bike was still very unpredictable; especially jumping. If you can swing it, I'd recommend selling and upgrading to something a little newer. Otherwise, take your suspension to a qualified tuner and you will realize improvement.

Top Bottom