vibguy1

Nov 15, 2001
I am not really for sure what happened. This past weekend I was riding in the Dual Sport at Renfro Valley Ky. The bike just took off wide open and I could not shut it down the kill switch would not turn it off. I had to lock up the brakes and fall over. Once the bike died it started up fine. This happened three times Saturday and has never did this before. It was very scary I have had this KDX for 3 years and never have had a problem. The only thingI could fine when I got back to camp was that the Kips cover on the right side had lost two screws and it was real loose.

But other than that the bike handled the hills and rocks great.

Joe

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I had a similar experience with head bolts becoming loose and the bike unwilling to shut down. I believe the missing screws caused the bike to suck in large amounts of air, leaning the fuel mixture and causing the bike to over rev. Just a thought!

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I don't know if this is the same problem, but my '89 will have the throttle stick open on it sometimes. Most of the time I can wiggle it free, or use the kill switch. If I do get it freed, it will die, unless I pull in the clutch and close the throttle.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There are a few things that can cause the bike to run wide open, but often it is a frayed throttle cable or a throttle cable that is improperly routed.

If the engine runs wide open long enough to super heat the spark plug, the bike will continue to scream even if the kill button is pressed.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I would check worn/frayed cable routing first and then the clogged jetting mentioned. Did you recent install new bars or have the tank off for some reason that may have changed cable routing to cause the cable to bind?

Motohead00

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
A similar situation happened to my son on his PW80 a few yrs. ago. It took me a while to figure it out, but it turned out to be that the float level somehow got mysteriously low (maybe a crash? :think: ) It was at the point where it was running out of fuel,yet not quite, causing super lean condition.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom