howes

May 7, 2009
Kips Problems ?? I think ?
I bought an immaculate 2002 kdx200 a while back with 2600klm on the clock, the bike looked new.
I had never heard a Kdx Run before & I could hear a Kips rattle. So to ease my mind I pulled the Head off & put a new piston & Rings in . Although it did not need it. I cleaned the kips parts & put the bike back together . It went the same as it did before the work ,, Great ? The Kips noise was quite after cleaning it & reassembly . But at about 300klm later the kips noise came back , Noisy as ever . To check that it was the Kips I pulled the Exhaust off & had a look at the piston & Rings . Looks new !! Put my finger up the Exhaust port & check for piston slap , Tight no problems.
Any ideas it's driving me nuts *****ing..

Surely I'm not the only Kdx owner who has this problem . Bike runs fine but, sounds like a bad case of piston slap & why did the noise come back
Thanks peter

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Surely I'm not the only Kdx owner who has this problem . Bike runs fine but, sounds like a bad case of piston slap & why did the noise come back

Sounds like a normal KDX to me. The KIPS always make some noise at idle, some more than others. If the piston/rings and compression are good, and the KIPS is clean, just ride it. You get used to the noise of the kips. If you get a whirring/rattle it could be from the kips governor, and running a bit more oil seems to quieten it down. I run nearly a full quart.

howes

May 7, 2009
Thanks for the Reply
Strange how it went away & then came back again.
The bike was running very Rich & the Kips System became very oily.
I wonder if the oil on it has made it noisy. I might pull it all out & clean it & see if it stops the noise

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I took the sloted scewdiver cover off on the left side and watcthed the kips working thru the exhuast outlet while working it over with a 10mm socket seems a little sticky just before it reaches fully closed in fact i found it about 5 degrees from fully closed when I first put the socket on so I worked it for a while to ensure it was free to close all the way.

Top Bottom