CBRSLIDER1

Apr 2, 2002
I have had my 200 since I bought it new in 96. I love the bike and how it runs in the woods. I have a question about a problem that showed up recently. I noticed that when riding and I just get to where the power band kicks in(kips opens) the revs increase but the speed doesn't seem to match the high revs. It actually feels like it stays at a constant speed but the motor is reving to the moon.

I rebuilt the top end thinking that it needed it. Still no different. I thougth that maybe it is the clutch slipping. Any ideas? The clutch hasn't been touched since I bought it. If it is, where is the best place to get clutch parts for my kdx?

Also any good places to get bearings and other oem replacement parts for the kdx?

Thanks
Ray

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The clutch would be my guess. Call Sage or Fredette to get the advise on what plates and springs to use.

CBRSLIDER1

Apr 2, 2002
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in touch with Fredette. Who is Sage if ya don't mind me asking? Thanks again.

BRush,
Do you race any of the WNYOA events in NY?

Ray

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I'd look at the clutch adjustment first, if you have no free play in the clutch lever the clutch will slip, if that checks out ok pull the clutch cover and see if the clutch is cooked.

Here's a stupid question - do you have teeth on the rear sprocket?

PS. Hi, I'm Sage (good timing hu?)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER1
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in touch with Fredette. Who is Sage if ya don't mind me asking? Thanks again.

BRush,
Do you race any of the WNYOA events in NY?

Ray

Mostly NETRA events, though I've heard good reports about the Speedsville enduro and may have to check it out.

ps. Don't for get to check the teeth on the FRONT sproket too.

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
I'll jump in here with everyone else and say clutch. I just went through the same thing on my 96'. Replaced clutch plates and springs, adjusted and lubed cable and still had the problem until I put the heavier clutch springs in it. Made a huge difference. The springs were only $7 so it was an easy test. I hear people are now putting XR250 plates in so you may look at that.

I guess the problem was there when I bought the bike and it nearly drove me crazy trying to figure it out.

Good Luck

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I used to have '96 model too. The '97 models and beyond had stiffer springs to accomodate for clutch slipping. Should he upgrade to the '97 springs? Just a thought. I never had clutch problems on my '96, but I'm not a clutch abuser.

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
The replacement clutch kit was for the '97 and later model so it had the stronger springs. I have the typical mods such as Rev Pipe, Rad Valve, rejetting, etc... and it still slipped. I don't consider myself a clutch abuser, in fact even if I shifted without using the clutch the bike would rev and not hook up. As soon as I put the heavier springs on the bike would easily pull the front wheel up in third and fourth gears where it wouldn't in the past.

Since this bike just started this recently and assuming no mods have been done it just may need new plates, but if that is going to be done I would go with what Fredette is recommending.

Before that though be sure to check the free stuff such as the cable adjustment and lube the cable. Mine was dragging which wouldn't allow the clutch to engage fully. Just do a search for "clutch" in the kdx forums and there is some good information.

Last edited:

CBRSLIDER1

Apr 2, 2002
Hey thanks everyone for the input. It's great to see a site like this. I'll have to call Fredette and get some prices. The KDX needs alot of work to get it up and running for this summer. Fredette's should be able to help me with all of it.

Thnaks Again
Ray

CBRSLIDER1

Apr 2, 2002
Hey Sage,
thanks for the input and yes there are teeth on the front and rear sprockets. Wish it would be that easy for me, but it will more than likely be something difficult and expensive.

So I should look into a 97 clutch kit with stiffer springs? How about aftermarket kits from Barnett or EBC? Any recommendations? Or part numbers?

Ray

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom