flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
The last 2 numbers on my vin are 96.Was this because it was made in 96 but released in 97?I just bought it as a "1997 KDX 220" used from craigslist.I'm really happy with the bike,so maybe I shouldn't worry about it,but I am curious.I checked the threads and did not find this addressed specifically.Any help?

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
The tank and tool kit on rear fender are purple.The shock spring is blue.It has a custom graphics kit...so no help there.The more I search,the less I know.I can't seem to find a good picture of a 1997 KDX 220 anywhere on the net.The seat was part of graphics kit so I don't know original seat color.The guy I bought it from was 2nd owners dad,and said original owners did any mods.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
flapwick said:
The last 2 numbers on my vin are 96.Was this because it was made in 96 but released in 97??
No, this because the one before it was 95 and the one made after it was 97.
Last digits in VIN are sequential.

Last edited:

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
I'm still laughing...........Happy New Year!!!
I'm still amazed at how much time I can spend working up complicated conspiracies,when the truth is so simple......I'm an idiot.Okay,is the year stamped somewhere on the bike,oh enlightened one?The title says 1998,and I know from experience at my DMV,you can tell them anything and they don't check.Thanks for the help.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the tenth digit has a letter and that letter directly relates to the year.
Like mine is a W and was told that means its a 98.
Mudpack should have been able to tell you that he works at a dealership???
Maybe he just greets people at the door and dusts the bikes off

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks to both of you.I actually looked a little more carefully and found it right beside the vin.It's a 1997.Can anyone direct me to a good quality,close up picture of a bone stock 1997 KDX 220 on the net?

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks,motobrotos.I think that may be the coolest or the dorkiest thing I ever made up.....motobrotos....I can't decide.It means"My fellow motocrossing brothers".
(Copyright 2009,Patent Pending,All rights reserved.Any use of the word"motobroto" or any combination of any of the letters in said word used in any fashion at any time in written or spoken word will result in fines,imprisonment or both.)Rock on!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
Maybe he just greets people at the door and dusts the bikes off
Ha, ha! Your sharp wit has earned you a top five placement on my list of internet posters to ignore. What that means is that any answers that I might have to your questions will remain with me..... :)

Mud

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mudpack said:
Ha, ha! Your sharp wit has earned you a top five placement on my list of internet posters to ignore. What that means is that any answers that I might have to your questions will remain with me..... :)

Mud

Just an observation but you work at a kaw dealership, ...you should at least know how a VIN breaks down,
with that any answers you might post should be taken with a grain of salt by all.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
Just an observation but you work at a kaw dealership, TRUE ENOUGH THAT.
...you should at least know how a VIN breaks down, I DO, but that doesn't mean I'm required to share my knowledge with the masses.
with that any answers you might post should be taken with a grain of salt by all. FALSE. SERIOUS ANSWERS SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. ANSWERS THAT ARE SARCASTIC/HUMOROUS WILL BE OBVIOUS AND SHOULD BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. POSTS IN WHICH ANSWERS ARE NOT GIVEN ARE THE POSTER'S OPTION AND SHOULD NOT BE CRITICIZED BY LESSER POSTERS.
:rotfl:

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE BREAK THE CODE OF MUDPACK'S POSTS!

mud

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
flapwick said:
Hmmmmm.....Are you being sarcastic,funny,or serious?

Obviously, my explanation of "the code" was insufficient for you. You'll have to PM me each time you read one of my posts, so that I may assist you in the deciphering.
And, I'll be happy to do that. :cool:

Mud

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
no he's right, you win I'm sorry, I don't have the time like the retired folks, as I'm much too busy with my life to screw with people, I prefer to give straight answers and to help fellow KDXers.

Mudpack you are welcome to jion us at Hatfield-McCoy the weekend of June 6th.

Try to understand, I along with alot of my friends have been misslead and screwed over by dealership folk who like to act as if they know everything along with being smug when in fact they can't get a simple order correct while costing us time and money. Most info given has been generic and through speaking for just minutes with most has lead us to second guessing and confusion to the point that it is much better to look up part numbers ourselfs and order from internet sources instead of local dealers.

I hope you can understand that when someone needs help we should give direct and helpful answers there is enough smoke and mirrors in this industry.

So light a candle, say a prayer, whatever you have to do, just forgive me my trespasses and be helpfull to others as others would to you.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
Mudpack you are welcome to jion us at Hatfield-McCoy the weekend of June 6th..
Only if you promise to put trials tires on your Magna and ride it. :p

Seriously, while I wouldn't mind sharing a ride with hillbilly (he's a squared-away type of guy), WVa is a little far to drive just to go on a trail ride.
But thanks for the invite!

BTW,
You guys missed a nice ride here: the Central Kansas Offroad Association sponsors a New Years Day ride and BBQ not far from my house. This year's was terrific. Put it on your calendars for next year, okay? I'll give you all a reminder in about 10 months. Consider this your official invitation.

Mud

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom