1996 RM 125.. Ride it or not?

jaco12

Mar 11, 2006
Hey, i recently bought a 1996 RM 125, Long story short, Bad Idea! The bike did not run when i bought it apparently all it needed was a new Top end. Well i got a parts Quote of $1200 in parts + labour so about $1800 in total.

But anyways my Question The bike does run now on the parts it had originally. The Nikasil on the cylinder is going, the piston and rings arent to bad the ring was jammed on the other side of the piston, bottom end was a little dry. Now the bike sounds OK and starts first kick usually i was wondering if i could take it for a ride? the mechanic said i wouldnt suggest it just because we dont know what will happen ( blow motor or something) can anybody help me out

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Replating the cylinder is under 300 dollars. A complete engine rebuild kit, around 300 dollars. At worst, when the top or bottom go, 600 to 800 dollars more. Invest in a manual and some basic tools, priceless.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
id say tear it down yourself its not as bad as a person would think... and it makes you all happy inside after you get her running knowing you did it yourself ;) But like your mechanic said it probably isnt a good idea to ride it if you have any suspision its going to grenade. Ben there done that not cool

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
$1800 for a top end rebuild sounds really high to me. I can see $600 in labor but not $1200 in parts.

A top end "kit" from Wiseco, including piston, rings and gaskets should be around $150. You might need the top bearing for another $15. I am not familair with the cost of having a cylinder re-plated but I can't believe that it would be more than $200.

If you aren't willing to do this kind of work yourself, you should never have bought a bike that wasn't running!

Use this as an educational experience. Rebuild the top end yourself, it isn't that hard. It is a different story if you have to rebuild the bottom end but top end can be done with basic tools and a few hours of work. You don't need to remove the engine from the bike.

You will probably want to remove the gas tank. I am not familiar with your bike but I would expect that you would remove the cylinder head (four to six nuts, radiator hose), remove the pipe, remove the cylinder base nuts (four) pull the cylinder off, remove the piston from the rod. Stuff clean rags into the case opening to keep junk out.

I am not sure I would use the shop that quoted you $1200 in parts but I would find a local shop to work through to have the cylinder plated. Have the cylinder work done first to make sure of the size as it might come back bored out to a larger size (oversized pistons are common).

The one "gotcha" on reassembly is to make sure that the ring(s) has proper end gap before you assemble. To check end gap, insert the ring, by itself into the cylinder. Use feeler gauge to check the gap. If it is too tigh, file the end of the ring down a bit.

Put the ring on the piston (be sure the gap is in the right spot, usually away from the exhaust port). There may be only one spot on the piston that it fits properly due to a "tab" in the ring groove that fits in the notch of the ring at the gap.

Put the new piston on the rod, being very careful to seat the spring clip properly (lots of rebuild failures are due to the spring clip coming loose....)

Put the gasket in place, slide the cylinder down over the piston. Tighten the base nuts (toque wrench should be used).

Put the cylinder head in place (with gasket/O-ring) tighten head nuts. Torque wrench is essential here! Tightening the nuts in the proper order is also essential.

Reconnect the pipe, radiator hose, install gas tank, go ride! (go easy at first).

Obtaining a manual for the bike will fill in the blanks, such as the proper torque settings. The after market maunals, such as Clymer, are fine.

Rod

jaco12

Mar 11, 2006
Hey, Thanks for the Advise i do reailsed that i messed up buying this bike! I am also from Canada so the parts prices are going to be a tad higher. The bike does not seem to run now ( well Start i never did ride it). The 1200 in parts was for the Top and bottom end ( it needed bearings) The cylinder is not in good shape the Re-nikasil is about 250 CAD + shipping . The labour was the only thing killing me, but it is still 1/2 the Regular shop rate. I have decided just to sell the bike its not worth fixing IMO, i bought it for $800 the highest offer i have got is $700 i do not think i am getting much for it..

I got ripped off!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
jaco12 said:
I got ripped off!

If you bought it knowing it didn't run, then I would not claim that you got ripped off. Burned maybe, but not cheated.

I certainly would not invest another $1800 in a 12 year old 125. My advice is to take the $700 offer and let that be a lesson learned.

Rod

Top Bottom