csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys, I'm just getting into dirt biking, I can ride on around a field and do pretty well, right now I'm riding my friends old 1988 KDX 200 and its a bit old and i'm looking for a bike.

Im looking into a 1996 kx 125, my friends do woods riding and said they have been starting to get into riding at the pit ( little local motocross track there)

anyway, there is a 1996 kx 125 for sale on craigslist for 350$, it is supposedly good condition except it needs a new piston.

I called the guy and felt it out, he threw the piston away so i wont be able to see it, he claims it didn't have a hole in it and it was "gummed up and the rings were sticky"

He said the cylinder is good and it just needs top end kit and top end bearing, at that point were looking at about 80$ to get the bike up and running.

is this to much of a gamble? what are common problems with these bikes? how are they ect, anything I need to know?

I priced out if worse come to worse case how much it would cost.

Bike - 350
Top end bearing - 10
Piston kit - 75
Full engine gasket kit-55
cranks bearings and seals - 45

That works out to under 550$. but thats assuming the bike is in good condition except the engine.

any opinions wanted

Thanks guys!

Note* I did not know were to post this so I posted it here and in the bike help section, thanks a ton guys!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Used bikes are always a crapshoot. But the fact he took out and threw away a "gummed up" piston is likely a sign the bike wasn't properly maintained. This means you might need sprockets and chains, new brakes, seals and fluids for forks. Shock might be shot. Who knows about the clutch plates and whether or not transmission oil was ever changed or not. Carb will probably need a cleaning and might need a new float valve. You won't know if the cylinder is really good until you inspect AND measure it.
But having said that, it is still a reasonable price if you are wanting a project bike. You won't know until you inspect it. And you are basically buying a project that may take some time and more money than you expect. Or just maybe, everything the guy said is true (doubt it, though). Final decision is up to you. Good luck.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A person that has built several bikes would likely be getting a good deal, on the otherhand, this one is likely a no-go for you. Save your bucks for something that is already running.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
lol, guys went to check the bike out...what a ****ing piece of junk..

Great shape, just needs a rebuild due to maintenance my rearend.

This thing was supposedly in good shape, and fully together, except the top end was apart.

It was ripped apart and basically a parts bike with not many parts left.....

Guy lied about everything from Step A, he lied about how far away he lived, got to where he said he lived, called him and apparently he lived another 30 mins away.

Compulsive liar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom