1996 TM250e Enduro vs newer bikes????

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Hi all,
I currently ride a tm250 enduro,a 1996 bike the pink one with the black tank!(Now kitted out in black and yellow).
I feel its an amazing bike! However i am a beginner clubman C rider and am looking to race all events that fit into my time schedule in between work and college....which means the odd mx,enduro and hareandhound...so i need a do it all bike! Should i sell and buy a bike such as a yz250f or keep my tm and with a few mods be competitive???? What would the tm riders suggest? I really dont like the newer 01 bikes they feel too much like a motocross 250!
Also where is it possible to purchase a pipe for this bike? Anybody have any spares,reviews, manuals etc? What do all the tm riders think of this bike???? Any comments at all are appreciated on the older tms! Cheers :nener:

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
When you are able to weld a bit or know somebody you can, you can adapt a Honda CR250R 96 pipe or any GasGas pipe. The head pipe has to be reworked because on your TM the pipe is the male part and the cylinder is the female and on the Hondas and GasGas it is vice versa. Otherwise these pipes fit fine.
I rode the 96 from March 96 till August 2002 and bought a 300 2002 model then. I like the new one better because of the stronger engine and better fork, but I don't see a real reason why your 250 shouldn't be good enough for another one or two seasons?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
TM doesn't make any manuals except for parts catalogues.
Those can be found for example on the German importers website www.mototm-racing.de
Its in German of course but for having a look at an exploded view that is no problem I think.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Cool.......thanks very much for the reply! I have just put on a new graphix set and will soon be putting on a new seat cover!Will post pics in a few days! Any idea what i can do to make the bike really reliable!? Any tips as you own the same bike??? Thanks Again.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
My bikes in amazing condition apart from the swingarm spindle being seized! (Last owner......a bike restorer and mechanic). Do you remember a good base setting for fast hareandhounds for the suspension? Thanks for all the help so far!

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
blanc said:
...Do you remember a good base setting for fast hareandhounds for the suspension? ....

There you are definetly asking the wrong guy! Last time I tried to do anything fast I ended up needing knee surgery. :)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
HaHa....maybe i asked it wrong. I am a beginner c class rider. I ride fast but am slow for racing standard! Do you know any base settings?? Ever used the enduro on the mx track????

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Yes, although I don't like MX riding and look like my own grandmother while doing it.
Basically no problem, but when you get faster eventually you might find the 45 Marzocchi fork a bit too flexy and too soft. For tight Enduro stuff with roots and rocks and such it's a good fork though. And very easy to service, too!
Don't ask me for suspension settings. I don't touch them until Paul, my riding buddy tells me: "Hey you need more rebound for situations like this". Then I adjust the clickers according to what he said, then leave them untouched again till he tells me something else a few weeks later.

Top Bottom