Help 1996 Yamaha RT180 no compression

Tylero05

Feb 27, 2022
Okay, so I bought this bike a a couple years ago and I didn't ride it much but my brother rode it quite alot, I started riding again and when I was riding it, it died on me and wouldnt start back, it doesn’t seem to have much compression, and I need some help diagnosing the problem. Should I get a new top end for it? Or could it be something smaller and less expensive than that

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll go out on a limb and say you should start with a new top end. You can buy the tool to check compression, or take it to someone that can check it for you, but being a 96, you can bet it needs a refresh.

Tylero05

Feb 27, 2022
I'll look into it, but any idea on how much that would cost to replace it myself vs how much it would cost to get it professionally done?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Looks like Weisco has a piston for your bike but the only one in stock is the 3rd overbore. You will more than likely need to bore the cylinder anyway. It comes with the piston, rings, wrist pin and C-clips for $165. You can look around at other bike part sites. You will also need a new base and head gasket. A local bike shop or automotive machine shop can do the bore job.

I had a 1990 RT180. Nice bike for trail riding. It's air cooled and there is no power valve so doing a top end is pretty easy.

Top Bottom