1998 CR125 for Woods riding ???

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have a 1998 CR125 all stock. It is my first off-road bike since my Trail 70 over 20 years ago. What should I do to make this bike more of a woods trail riding bike. All I have done to the suspension so far is fluid change in front forks and rear shock rebuild, but everything is still stock specs.

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would think a revalve is definatly needed to get the 98 to work in the woods.You didnt mention your weight or speed.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
My weight is about 185 with full gear on. I am just getting into riding off-road. I have been a street rider/racer for about 10 years now, but I havent been in the dirt for over 20 years, so I am not a fast dirt rider. I am just getting back into the sport so I can show my kids how fun it is. I plan on entering a few hair scrambles next year, just for the fun of it. I do very little MX riding. All my riding is woods and trails, such as state parks and national forests.

Thanks,
J

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I am pretty sure that you're aware that 125cc MXs are not the most effective woods bikes. One thign you can do, though, is to move the compression clicks almost all the way out, place the rebound almost all the way in, for both the shock and forks. Set the race sag in 120 mm. This is to begin with...

If you think the suspension is not delivering any, try to lower the oil in the forks a bit, and release shock preload.

I would save the money of revalving the suspension at this time, since you're not racing or something. After you readquire your skills, then you look for more...

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Thanks so much for that help, I will try it this weekend when I go riding with my 2 sons ages 7 and 10. And with a baby girl who will be 2 in Novemeber, you know she will have a new Honda XR50 with training wheels under the tree from Santa, so I need all the help I can get. I dont want my kids kickin my butt on the trails.

Thanks,
J

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have a Cr 125/98 and as Marcus said a revalve is definatly needed for front.
I also bought for rear a Technoflex shock and now the front and rear suspension are great. The stock suspension seems for me very harsh...
Rgalesi said to set the rear sag in 120mm as starting point. I found the best for me around 105mm.
If you need something more pls tell us.

BTW Take a look at your jetting and try to keep it very close for woods(fouling a plug is not a good way to start a Sunday morning :aj: )

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…