1998 RM250 - Doggy at take off / startup

mperu99

Jun 10, 2007
I just started noticing this as well besides the jerky of the clutch.

When i go to start the bike its like its real doggy or boggy.. like hardly any gas.. but once its running its ok , until you put it in gear and take off then is real boggy/doggy at take off then its ok.

but also i am not feeling any power band now.. I am in first gear and full on throttle I can hear the engine screaming but the bike just dont have that umph! anymore.. its like im waiting for that power band to hit before shifting then i shift to 2nd.. 3rd and still not umph! response that it once had..
i can adjust the throttle cable and i can get it to idle.. ok.
its just that initial take off thats just seems really sluggish for just a few split seconds ..

something in the carb? something broken? related to clutch?

any ideas?

Mike - kansas

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The easiest thing to do would be to drop the bowl on the carburetor and clean it out. Remove the jets and ensure they are clear. If that doesn't fix the problem, report back.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
clean the carb. pull the jets and clean them too. clean the hell out of er. and while the carb is off, pull the reed cage and take a look at the reeds. if they're cracked or not fully seated, that could be it too.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
The same thing happened with my '98 RM 125. I adjusted the clutch cable and extended it too far, so the clutch acted like it was slipping, and it did exactly what you were saying. So try shortening up the clutch cable because it is probably falling off a little and engaging the clutch when you don't want it engaged. It will only take a minute or so and doesn't entail taking apart the whole bike, so I'd try it. Hope it works!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If none of these suggestions work, check the power valve. There is a good chance it may be sticking. Let us know if you need a walkthrough.

mperu99

Jun 10, 2007
_JOE_ said:
If none of these suggestions work, check the power valve. There is a good chance it may be sticking. Let us know if you need a walkthrough.

ALL, I will try all of these suggestions and will get back on here to let you all know.. however can someone tell me were is the power valve. I have heard this term before but dont know what it is or where its located..

thanks.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not sure where the access cover on yours is, but it was behind the pipe on the side of the cylinder on my 02. Pull the pipe, remove the cover, replace the pipe, start the bike, rev it while watching the actuator rod. The rod should move up. If it doesnt, you should go buy a service manual for your bike(which you should have anyway), and tear it apart. The valves tend to get carboned up and stick. And for the record, the pipe and reeds don't "cause" the surge commonly referred to as the powerband, but do effect the way it comes on. You should repack your silencer though.

mperu99

Jun 10, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
of course you warm the bike up right

if you dont warm a bike up well it will kinda bog

NO OFFENSE but if you read, i have stated this is happening after the bike has ran.. I already know if you dont warm it up its boggy.. but thx for the reminder.....

:nener:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom