1999 YZ400 shock vs 2000 426 shock

Bird82

Mar 24, 2002
I just bought a 2000 426, unfortunately i went to adjust the high speed compression and it seems i have a 1999 shock. I guess since the YZ250 and the 1999 400 shock look the same i can't even be sure what shock it is, the spring has 1 yellow mark on it so i guess it's a stock spring. Is the 2000 shock with high speed comp that much better than the 1999 shock? Should i get the 1999 one revalved and just go with it? Is there a MX-Tech around Montgomery Al i can take it to? Thanks Bird

Bird82

Mar 24, 2002
Please help, i rode the bike saturday and it handled like a pig, I really need to know if the shocks are the same as far as size, length etc., I also think the bike may have 1999 model forks, my main question is can i get the suspension working properly with these parts or should i just give up? I want to get them revalved and setup for me; but, i don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work. Please help because this is what i'm stuck with, what really hurts is i was told by people that i thought were my friends that this thing had procircuit susp and it doesnt even have 2000 suspension, i guess i get the 2002 dumb idiot award for this one, hehe

thanks Bird

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im sorry i really dont know if the 99 is the same as the 2000.But the 99 stuff should be able to be tuned to work really well.You need to ensure you have the basics correct-spring rates for your weight, rear sag set correctly and the clickers set to provide the best ride possible-go to www.mx-tech.com and then to downloads and you will find lots of info on setting clickers etc.Even a really well valved set up will feel horrible if the clickers are way off.

82 Bird

Aug 24, 2002
great info, thanks for the help, I found out some more info last night, when i'm sure of the facts I will come out with it, I'm going to give this so called suspension guy a chance to tell the truth and make it right, If he doesn't then i think it's only fair everyone in my area know what happened, I've never been in a situation like this and i want to make sure i handle it correctly, thanks again Bird

Bird82

Mar 24, 2002
Oh well I decided not to say anything else, I pretty much know what happened, I can't see how posting anything here would help. Oh well, thanks for the info and the help, Bird

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…