coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Yesterday, I decided to go to RauschCreek and try out their tracks. Until yesterday, my riding was mainly trails and pits at TowerCity, PA. I have become pretty good on the steep, technical and rocky trails and ok on the occasional jump...I thought the time was right!

Anyway, boy was I wrong. The track is a completely different animal. The smallest double was intimidating. The bigger doubles and step-up were downright scary. Second lap, rider in front of me had a gnarly crash from a stuck-wfo throttle. Fortunately, he was only shaken.

Two riders I met at the track had similar results, each suffered broken rear fenders, handlebars, and sore wrists.

Myself? I dented my pipe and bent my handlebars and on my final lap, landed really hard and hurt my lower back....bad. I will definitely be staying home from work on Monday.

In addition, my pride was severly wounded as a VERY young rider on a yz80-85 routinely cleared the step-up and all the doubles...lol

On a side note, when I was pulling out of the track parking lot, an ambulance arrived with its lights on.....I hope whomever called them is ok. As I followed the ambulance by, something caught my eyes between the office building and second building...two dogs HUMPING......I couldn't believe it.....I thought it made a good analogy for me and the track..lol.

Anyway, as soon as my back is better, I'm going back. Things will be different this time...thanks for reading my vent/story.

coperam

Last edited:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I understand. Dirtweek was the first time I really had ever ridden a track. I had raced enduros for years. Lots of races. Nasty terrain, mud, rocks, root ruts, and big hills.
The track was totally different, it is definitely intimidating. I chose to ride very cautiously and not get myself in trouble. It meant not doing the doubles and taking it easy in the rhythm sections. But in the end it was worth it, I had a ball and didn't hurt myself. I plan on riding a track again. Heck I plan on racing a MX race in the future. If I have as much fun doing that as I did riding it at Dirtweek then I'll do a whole series.:)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Lorin
To JustQL:

Does this mean that you will be riding the "B" class next year at Dirtweek?

he finished in the top 1/3. i think that makes him a B rider.

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
JustQL-Thanks for the reply/sympathy.

The whole experience was intimidating, especially since I went there by myself. I can't wait to go back, though. I think it would have been much better if I wouldn't have been so tentative on everything. The accidents I saw didn't help with my confidence much, either!

coperam

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey coperan, i'm with 100% i don't know which is worse, being by yourself at the track, nobody to watch ya wra-eck but it's a little more intimidating, or having some new found riding buddies so you can gauge how they do it, male ego confidence ride harder , but alot more witnesses.:think i'm planning to go to the track alone tonight, gotta practice my cornering, but the thought of the doubles and tripples still looms large. it'll be my 3rd time on an mx track 2d was dirtweek. hmmm... feeling more confident,UNTILL I ROLL UP ON THE TRIPPLES! oh well, if it weren't scarey, where'd be the "fun":)

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Thanks sfc crash

I went to the doctor today and he thought I might have a compression type injury to my back. I'm going to have an ultrasound treatment tomorrow and some more x-rays to make sure everything is alright.

He gave me some norflex(a shot in the butt and pills) and some naprosyn to help ease the pain and reduce the muscle spasms. Only effect it has had so far is to make me sleepy...lol

Thanks for the encouragement.
coperam

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i have 3 herniated disks,worse is the l5s1, screws with the sciatic in my left leg, tightens the hamstring and if i let it go unattended it'll lay me up. stretching and stairstepper keeps it ok. i had some cort shots this summer into the disk, but believe it or not, riding helps, i'm up on the pegs and the constant aerobic/anaerobic action helps keep it loose...go figure. btw got the afternoon off...so it's out to the track.;)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Great thread.
The "dogs humping" was good. Ah, the humiliation is palpable.:o

BUT--it takes cajones to admit it, and if you know anybody that hasn't had an experience like that, they're lying.:)

So don't feel bad. I humiliate myself all the time, in one way or another.;) In fact, I haven't been to a track since before the big "layoff" (about 16 years ago, but who's counting?), and now I'm back with a vengeance and a monster between my legs.:scream:

I most assuredly will KILL myself first time out. And you can bet I'll be doin' a stator/light setup, cuz nobody's going to get me to do it in broad daylight. You'll be hearing from me soon. :)

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
Nephron-thanks for the reply...

I'm thinking about sneaking out there at night too....lol. Only thing, there won't be anyone to carry my broken body(and bike) off the track.

sfc crash
WoW! I don't feel so bad now. What caused you to get 3 herniated disks? And if the doctor tells me no riding, I will definitely bring your case up as evidence that I should!!

Anyway, I guess i have a slight dislocation at l5 with some disk space narrowing. Whatever that means. it still hurts and the doctors are busy so I haven't heard what type of treatment they are going to try.

coperam

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Well I'm not super experienced with ridding on MX tracks either. I've ridden on a track about 7 times now. My word of advice is don't worry about what other people are doing (unless its going to affect you badly ie crash etc.) just remember its not about yea I just did the massive 70 foot double, its all about having FUN!! Think of it this way 1.) have fun stay on two wheels not do anything stupid not get hurt. 2.) show off, ride over your skill level end up leaving a on stretcher.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
my herniated disks came from alot of jumping full combat load w/out a lowering line(82 abn banned lowering lines for a couple years because morons would deploy them at about 700ft and tangle up in each other:( )then just getting old. i dinged myself up pretty good tues afternoon, now i'm still paying the price w/ the lower back..alot of strecthing. thing is i'm suposed to do some riding sat...ha! i'll be ready. btw, don't ask how i dinged myself at the track tues....it's too stupid to believe so even i cant own up to it. but it involved grabbing a whole handfull of front brake while the front wheel was of the ground!:think

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom