sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Well I just got back from Boone NC area a few hours ago..

Spent one day rafting, one day hiking, then friday I went to Brown mountain ORV, I went alone got unloaded, and figuered I would take a short warm up ride si I had al my gear on except the riding boots, luckly I had decided to take the KDX.

As I approched the trail head I saw a sign for 1a and as "recomended" I headed on up the trail, I started thinking ..so this is the easy trail hmm, as I got further up the side of the mountain I came accross many knarly rock faces and boulder hops I was thinking WTF and where the hell is the cut back to the parking lot!! and on this 1st day of my 40th year I AM GOING TO DIE!!

Thanks to the KDX's low end power and the D803 trial tire I was able to pick my way through the 2-4ft ledges of the bald faced solid stone with gaps that could stop (swallow) a front tire.

when I finally got to a intersection (trail 2 and 1b) I called for help luckly JD answered and directed me to 1b then, 4 to trail 1 and appolgized for the confusion of trail 1 with 1a.

so much for the warm up lap (1 1/2hrs) I was soaked with sweat and my mind was scrambled, but I made it back to the parking lot.

at the lot I noticed an older guy unloading his bike from the back of his 66 chevelle elcamino and asked if he was riding alone, he said yep and we ended up riding the rest of the day together and he showed me some renegade trails that went to some senic places, he was riding a cr500 with a trails tire.

Even though the remainer of the day brought some equaly mind blowing trails, where we were banking off one huge bolder to land on another while transitioning from downhill to up hill at the same time and one particular 1/4 mile steep hill climb with no trail to follow, I felt alot better not being alone.
At the end of the day I was noodled out (whipped)

Saturday
I made my way to Brushy Mountain Motorspots near Tailorsville NC (very nice place to ride) It wasn't as bad as brown mt but I was still pretty wooped and did not get into any single track matter fact I only did trail 1c and 2, the motorcross track and the youth trails, there is ALOT more trails than I had energy for..

I have a new respect for JD's terrian when he says he rides rocky rooted muddy trails he never mentioned that the rocks are 4000ft tall and not at all smooth.....

In a way I'm kinda glad he didn't have the chance to ride with me at either place because I'm so out of shape and slow ( at least when faced with life or death decissions of the mountain trails)

BTW JD the 745 front I brought you did great both at Brown and at muddy Brushy MT. you will like it :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
that sounds like a story that needs some pics :ride: should be against some sort of rules to tease a fella like that :yell:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
sorry either the wife deleted footage from 1a on accident or the gopro was not on or something ..its new to me I was so pissed that 1a footage was gone and that battery gave out on trail #9

I have took hook it up to the computer and see if I can get some still shots from it??? don't know how?? too I noticed the gopro wide seems to make everthing look flat even the really steep sections

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah the old guy was taking it easy on me.. he usually rides a kx100 or crf150r.

his name was Tim 51yrs and about 130lbs, 5'6"ish why do the small short guys always seem to ride so much smoother and faster??..

I'm thinking the transition from sitting to standing is much less strain on them.

some of my elevation recordings on my colorado 400t showed hundreds of feet changes in near minutes, reviewing the data looked like an EKG of someone on crack!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
5'6"ish why do the small short guys always seem to ride so much smoother and faster??..
Because we have to keep our feet on the pegs and the bike on the gas......

(if we stop or try to put our foot down, we fall over)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mudpack said:
Because we have to keep our feet on the pegs and the bike on the gas......

(if we stop or try to put our foot down, we fall over)

so its kinda like I feel when I ride the wr250f..me no likey :ugg:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
We ride Brown Mtn a lot. Never heard it described quite like that although pretty accurate I would say. Our warm up is 1a to trail 2 then to trail 9 it brings you out right across the road from 1a. Stop by the truck for a pack of crackers, water and top off the tanks and go hit the single track. It has some good riding I just try to avoid the 2-ways when its really crowded. It is pretty easy to hook-up with someone to ride with if your along.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well when I arrived there was 2 cars in the parking area when I left there was 3 cars...not very busy there.

durhamtown is flat compared with brown or brushy

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
LOL, totally my bad. I confused 1a with 1. Hey, in my defense I did not have a map in hand!

When you called and said you were at the top of 1a, and I looked up the map online, i went "oh hell!".

I'm glad you made it up here, glad you made it up to brown, and definitely glad you made it OUT and WITH your bike! Next time we'll have to catch up a little better. I couldn't get out of the house with the wife wanting to pack up for the beach trip!! I'm sure you would have done fine riding with me. I like it pretty laid back. I'm too old to be whippin it through the woods anymore....

On saturdays and Sunday's brown fills up pretty good. It's a large park though so the trails never seem to congested. I've gotten where I like riding Brown almost more than brushy. Much more tight and technical. If I can get someone to hold my pager for 6 or 8 hours I plan on heading out there Saturday.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
with new job I will probably be working 4 10's and have every friday sat and sunday off... that will make plenty opertunitiy to get a ride in w'cha

Top Bottom