Madien Voyage Plus Some Questions

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
I know it's probably a good idea but I think I'll wait because I am not sure my mechanical skills are quite up to the task of disassembling the top end. Once I am a little more farmilar with working on the basics I will tackle the top end.

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Oh yeah I heard that compression can check good even if the piston is bad but what if I wait to see how long it takes to leak off? Say it checks 175 and I wait 10 minutes and it still reads 175 would that mean it was good?

Second batch of parts arrive middle of next week and then I should have everything. Can't really work on it at all this weekend but next weekend I should have at least a whole day to go over it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
duncanstives said:
Oh yeah I heard that compression can check good even if the piston is bad but what if I wait to see how long it takes to leak off? Say it checks 175 and I wait 10 minutes and it still reads 175 would that mean it was good?

Second batch of parts arrive middle of next week and then I should have everything. Can't really work on it at all this weekend but next weekend I should have at least a whole day to go over it.

if it checks at 175 and 10 minutes later it still reads 175 that means nothing ..most gauges have a one way valve that you manually release what has built up in them (usually at the connection part of the gauge)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
duncanstives said:
Would not be the first time but in this case... What are you talking about?

my bad I thought you had posted about checking the compression already, but that was some other post so... in order to make up for that I dug out the FSM and got you info:

cylinder usable compression is 95-151 PSI

and the adapter you will need for the compression gauge will be an M14x1.25 to fit you plug hole

the way you test is to install the compression tester and hold the throttle wided open and kick the engine over quickly untikk the gauge stops rising

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Yay!
It lives! Not only did a new spark plug make it run great but I stayed up late tonight and did back wheel bearings and chain. I planned to just remove the wheel and take it to work to press the bearings out but I decided to tap at then just a bit to see how hard they were gonna be to get out and they came out with no trouble (that is the first one did... The second one did too AFTER I realized there was a circle clip). Put in primary drive o-ring chain and all balls bearings which came with new seals. Sadly no pics of the install because I was using my phones camera flash as an extra light... Lol.
Not sure I got the chain tightness right... I tried to err on the side of being a little loose and didn't jump it or anything on my test run... I will read up on proper chain tightening tomorrow.

Also picked up some decent oil from the dealer (was gonna order it from rocky mountain but they couldn't ship it air).

Tomorrow I'll do the front bearings and maybe check the reeds and I'll be ready for the weekend!

bman602

Nov 6, 2009
Perhaps I missed it, but do have a service manual yet? If not, get yourself one asap! They are cheap on ebay, and will make your life with your bike 10x better. Honestly, probably the most important "accessory" to buy.

Top Bottom