aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Well, I bought my girlfriend a 1998 cr125, and have been riding it as well until we could afford a second. I have ridden 250's side by side with the 125 and like the available power (that can also get you in trouble quicker).

But since I don't know much about the brands (reliability, aftermarket support, ease of maintenance, etc), I just wanted to ask how a 2000 suzuki rm250 would compare to another brand, like a comparable honda cr or yamaha yz? (all 2 strokes)

I found a great deal on one, and hope to be upgrading from the 125 I've been riding on, but was curious if it would be the best choice. Keep in mind the major reason I am looking at this specific bike is price (I can get it cheap!)

Just for the hell of it, I though I would include this just in case it helps...

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

5'11", 160 lb, lean, in shape

2) How physical / aggressive are you?

I snowboard and ride a street bike on a local track. I understand risk. I would say on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being psychotic, I am a 5-6

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

I plan to ride on the local trails (New Mexico, plenty of open dirt trails, washes, hills, w/ the intermittent jumps) with my friends and girlfriend

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Been street riding a year, have had dirt bike experience as a youth riding a friends bike, feel comfortable with the mechanics, could definitely work on technique

5) Do you think you will race ?

Nope, racing street bikes will be expensive enough...

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I can learn to do pretty much anything; I work on my other bike, never done engine work (a 2 stroke could be a good learning experience)

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

I have a CR 125 (got a good deal), I have a suzuki motorcycle, so I like honda and suzuki I guess :)

I honestly don't know much about 4 stroke dirt bikes.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

No dealers for me.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?

Weekends (Sat and Sun), and the occasional weekday afternoon

10) Do you live in California?

For a while, but not anymore :)

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Not that I can think of.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
at 5'11'', you could probably fit on most of the 250 2T's out there right now. ive ridden a 2000 RM250, and you are sure right when you said that it can get you in trouble quicker :) . if youll be doing mostly trails, then a KX or RM250 would probably suit you the best, simply because they have the low-mid range grunt that is used a lot on woods and trails. if you like Suzuki, then get a Suzuki. if you want a Kawasaki, then get a Kawasaki.

i only mentioned 2 250's that would suit you, the CR250 might physically suit you better since its more stiff than the others, but im not sure. the KTM250SX is a very fast MX bike, as are they all, but this one's sole purpose is to race, and it feels the most different out of the other 4 major brands, so the KTM wouldnt be you best bet, especially since its the smallest.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Very useful info. Now that you mentioned that, i do remember reading something about the slightly shifted powerbands/torque from the different bikes somewhere on this site. I am really not looking for a speed demon race bike, and I just got lucky I found such a deal on the RM.

I guess the nice thing about the 125's is that you if you aren't in the powerband, its much more mild. My friends CR250 has much more immediate power, at least that's the feel I got from it....

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
a general rule when buying used is to not go for the very first deal you find, there will be better ones later on. if you feel comfident and you like the bike, then buy it. just make sure to ride it some and have a knowledgable dirt-biking friend or mechanic come with you to inspect the bike :) . also run the VIN through to make sure its not stolen and ask the owner simple questions like, "How often do you clean the air filter/change the oil?" "When was the last time you rebuilt the top-end?" "What modifications have you done?" etc.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
For sure, like I said, I own a street bike and a 125 cr already. I am not new to what maintenance needs done, etc, before you bite the bullet. I am going to see the bike in person next week, and know a lot of things to look for (although it is different for dirt as opposed to street).

For the condition it is supposedly in (very clean and unabused, rarely ridden), I am looking at 1400 for a 2000 rm 250. Pretty good right?

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
My thoughts exactly :)

That's why I am keeping it a secret, I can't have anyone steal this one out from under me this time! Thanks for the response buddy.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Well, I got another question about a brand. How does KTM rate with the other comparable 250's? I am looking at a Honda 1999 cr 250, a 2000 Suzuki RM 250, and a 1998 KTM 250 sx. I know enough about the cr and rm, but don't know much about ktms, and insight into these bikes?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
aaldape said:
Well, I got another question about a brand. How does KTM rate with the other comparable 250's? I am looking at a Honda 1999 cr 250, a 2000 Suzuki RM 250, and a 1998 KTM 250 sx. I know enough about the cr and rm, but don't know much about ktms, and insight into these bikes?

for those year models, the 250 2-strokes were probably closer in their differences than they are now, so there wont be a large amount of differential behavior between the 3. ive ridden a 2000 RM250 and that thing would be plenty fast for me. the KTM will be the fastest of the bunch, but itll have the worst suspension setup unless he messed with it. the Honda also had a strong motor for that year model, but i think the RM might be a little better. id go for the RM.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
aaldape said:

Coming from someone who had that year KTM. I say give it a quick whirl. See how it feels vs. the Suzi-Q. If you find a good deal on a 250SX 2000 or later, go for that. Around the late 90s KTM was good but no where near as good as they started getting around 2000. According to a lot of magazine dyno tests on 2t KTM machines they have always been the class leader in HP for their 125s and 250s.

Their 2003 250SX had 53HP out of the box! That was like at least 4-5hp more than their competitors. KTM always scored the highest marks on power, the lowest on suspension. I don't know exactly why but hey, I am not a pro. They have a linkless rear suspension and that is the blame for it as it is not super forgiving. Suspension is an easy fix though. The hydraulic clutches they came with forever are a dream too.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Right on, thanks for the heads up guys. I haven't ever sat foot on a KTM so I don't have a basis for comparison. So far, it looks like the RM is the best deal (money wise as well), but I had a cr 125 that was great. I still have it, so I guess that would be a nice plus to getting a same generation cr 250. They would be similar, familiar, some things interchangeable, etc.

I will check out that KTM if I can get him to come down on the price a bit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom