2-Stroke Advice!

Ally

Feb 23, 2006
Hey Boys!

I started dirt biking last year and bought a CRF100 (boo) because I am VERY short...but I got bored with it very quickly and just traded it in for a 2007 KTM sx85 :) ! I am looking for advice on breaking it in, maintaince and riding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Alison

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
That's a very open ended request, Alison. If you will be more specific about what you want to know, I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

Also, try running a search for things like "two stroke maintenance" or "riding techniques" or "break in".

As to maintenance, change the transmission oil regularly - maybe every 3-5 rides. Clean the air filter as often as you can - especially if it's dusty when you ride. Keep the chain properly adjusted and lubed. Check your tire pressure - there's a huge difference in how the bike acts between 10 pounds and 15 pounds of pressure.

Set the sag on your rear suspension.

You'll need to rebuild the top end (change ring and/or piston) with some regularity. I do it once in the summer and once in the winter - but I'm married with a child and a job, so I only get to ride 2-5 hours a week. If you ride a lot more than that, you'll probably want to do it more often. Anytime you see time recommendations on rebuilds and such, they mean actual total riding time on the bike - not the amount of time you were at the track or whatever. When I go for a 2 hour ride, the bike's usually actually being ridden for about an hour or hour and 15 minutes because of water breaks, etc. . . When I race, the bike gets about 15-20 minutes of time per class I race.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…